Slow down issues.

I think some of the “slow down problems” in large documents is because of automatic memory swap out with the hard drive–not simply a cumulative effect of size. Since ram is pretty cheap nowadays, upping your memory to 8 to 16 gig could be a reasonably cheap way to dramatically increase the speed of large projects–assuming your OS will permit usage of that amount of memory AND permits you to modify the settings that control swapping memory to disk.

Upping my memory from 1 to 2 Gigs and adjusting the settings made a big difference in the speed of a 1 meg Scrivener project I was working on. I may up it even more in the future.

Running Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit with 4GB and I can’t add any more (laptop won’t handle more, it came out right before they upped to 6 and 8 gigs). What can one do to avoid the slowdowns. I did shrink a 134MB project down to about 40 gigs or so.

Hi Mr Dithers

The problems I had are described in this post:

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/control-keys-not-working-and-temporary-lockups-of-scrivener/14585/1

They could be better described as intermittent long pauses between any new actions (keystrokes, windows changing focus, etc. caused by Scrivener taking over the hard drive for extended periods of time. You might read it to see if it gives you any ideas of things you might test out on you computer.

I also “apparently” made my problems pretty much go away “somehow” when I configured my Scrivener layout as described in the post. If you tried some of the same re-configurations and it solved your problems the programmers would be really interested in knowing about it.

Also would you mind describing the symptoms of the type of slowdown events you are experiencing and whether they are intermittent or constant .

Keith

mumble mumble ancient computer maxed out a 992 mb mumble mumble no cash mumble used to be my mother’s mumble 6 years old and huge mumble

ReadySetWrite

Ah yessss… castoffs, the bane of younger family members…

If you are stuck in a castoff world try this:

Many people you know probably have “upgraded” their computer with a new motherboard and kept the old one. Since every three years or so the CPU, RAM and video cards become outdated and can not be used in a new motherboard–people upgrading the MB have to buy new ones and they keep these too.

Since they usually have no clue as to what to do with the old parts, it usually makes them happy to find someone they can give it to and often they will help with the conversion. A three year old motherboard that was replaced will have a much faster CPU and video card as well have a lot more ram than the one you have now.

Just ask around… and ye shall find.

Huge is good by the way it makes it easier to upgrade parts…

I’m surprised you can even get Scrivener to run on that machine…

Keith

Actually, I haven’t done anything else and it seems the problem has cleared up itself. Or, I at least haven’t been able to replicate it. I think it was an issue with autosaving since the lock ups didn’t happen until after I typed in something new and then always when the freeze was over, the asterisk by the window title (the one that tells you when the document still needs to be saved or not is done) was gone by the end of the freeze. I think that was it, for some reason, also because I still had about half of my ram still available. If I can get it to replicate, then I’ll take another look.

I think it’s one of the “Performance degradations” that is caused by “Memory optimisation code removal” mentioned in the following link.
https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/lees-update-beta-035-released/14638/1

I have the same issues(especially with “slow key strokes”). I use Windows 7 (64 bit) i5 with 4GB memory.
Should consider adding memory optimisation code back.

• Memory optimisation code has been removed. This is thought to be the
    root cause of the bug Keith offered prize money to anyone who could
    reliably duplicate. Unfortunately, no one has claimed this prize and
    we’ve been unable to duplicate even once, and we’ve been through the
    code a zillion times. So, we felt it better to play it safe and remove
    the code and any possibility of loss of data. Performance degradation as
    a result of this code removal will probably only be noticed by beta
    testers on much older and slower machines.

If it’s an ancient laptop, though, you might be screwed. New motherboards are fiendishly difficult to replace, unless you know what you’re doing with replacing a motherboard laptop. Definitely memory should be upgrade-able. don’t ever buy it from the computer company. It’s way cheaper if you go straight through Crucial or Data Memory Systems. I’ve had really good luck with the later company–near instantaneous shipping here. :smiley:

Hi garpu

You are absolutely right. I assumed because it was described as HUGE, that it was a desktop unit.

But if it is a laptop, huge or not, replacing the motherboard is a serious pain and you almost always break some of the plastic mounting or attachment points doing it. Also… usually motherboards in laptops are unique to the case style and you rarely can find a new motherboard that is significantly better than the original.

Both of the above are why I avoid laptops. But if you have to travel with you computer you can not use anything else.

Well new laptops are getting cheaper. I got mine through System 76, and I love it after I got ubuntu off and slackware on. :stuck_out_tongue: I think I paid for the CPU upgrade on it, and it was about $750 with shipping. Netbooks are way cheaper, so it might be an option for ReadySetWrite. Problem is getting a job these days. My oldest niece is trying to find something (she just turned 16), and she’s having a hell of a time.

Another option: school/university surplus. If you don’t mind installing operating systems yourself, it’s better than an old dinosaur. I know UW has their surplus online. My 2nd linux box was a Dell from Boeing Surplus. Served me well for several years.

Ibex PC is a cheap source, if you go the barebones route. (Again, need to be comfortable loading an OS.)

With computers, if you’re handy with a screwdriver, you can save yourself a load of cash.

Well, it’s still a laptop, so not ancient desktop huge. Big for a laptop. Scrivener runs fine, I haven’t had any problems with it. I just ordered a new battery for it, so I will have a battery life longer than 10 mins for Nano. A new laptop is on my birthday list. :slight_smile: