Slow reaction to binder events

I have exactly the same issue, and have done since upgrading from version 2 to 3. This is not machine-dependent (I run Scrivener on my iMac and MacBook Air, synced via Dropbox). My project is 370MB, and I have been working on it (three 120k word novels) for approximately four years). I have rebuilt search indexes and assume this is just a bi-product of upgrading, though I never saw this in version 2. Each time I move between documents in the binder, the beachball will appear and Scrivener will run at 100% CPU for between 2 and 10 seconds. Normally this is a minor inconvenience, however, when sorting through documents in the binder, it is quite frustrating.

Note also that Compile does not complete in version 3.0.1 (966), so I have had to revert my iMac to 3,0.

Appreciate your thoughts, Jay

Hi

As per my previous - I’m using the same Scrivener project (shared via Dropbox) across three different Macs (with different accounts, etc.) I still have exactly this issue, and it seems to be getting worse. Delays up to 20 seconds moving between files in the binder.

Appreciate your thoughts, Jay

I’ve split this off to its own thread since what you are describing does not match the other case. You mentioned the project has 370mb, around how many items in the binder would you estimate there are? Use View ▸ Outline ▸ Show Subdocument Counts in Binder to help with that. Any other oddities, like a few ten thousand keywords? Do other projects work fine when this one is closed? Have you tried splitting it up into smaller (novel sized) chunks to see if that improves the situation?

Hi.

In the Manuscript I have 218 documents; 118 in Characters (which is a surprise); 51 in Research and a few others scattered around. This is the only Scrivener project I use; when I create a new one, I don’t see this beachball. I’ve not split my work into separate projects, and to be honest I’m a bit nervous of doing so.

The other thing that springs to mind is the number of snapshots that exist (after four years work). The Snapshot Manager takes a good 5 minutes to load up.

As noted previously, this did not occur in the same project in Scrivener 2 - I upgraded last month.

Cheers, Jay Binder.jpeg

Well you could test that theory quite harmlessly by creating a blank project alongside your main project and then dragging say, the Manuscript folder over into the blank project. That would bring over all 218 files, and if the test project immediately slows down, the problem is in there somewhere. If that was fine, try the Characters folder, and so on.

The overall count isn’t anything to be worried about. The project I’m typing into right now has around 2,500 binder items in it. If the problem were related to sheer quantity, I’d be looking for a number more in the tens of thousands of items (you might laugh, but I’ve seen worse… far worse!).