Slowed WAY down and CPU use up today?

I’ve been using Scriv with no problems (1.54, Intel MacBook, Snow Leopard) up through this past weekend. Today when I write in my normal dissertation document it takes the characters forever to catch up with my typing, and watching Activity Monitor indicates that Scriv will jump to 84% of CPU usage, then back down to 35%, then (when idle for a minute or so) back down to the normal 1.5%.

Is this something wrong on my system, or some kind of sudden memory leak on Scriv’s part? Any insight on what I could do? I’ve quit and restarted with no difference. It’s frustrating to have it respond so slowly when it’s always been so snappy!

Thanks,

Heath

Oooh, wait - should this be in a different forum? Sorry if I messed up, and feel free to move it!

H

Hi,

Have you been using full screen mode? There is a known problem with slowdown and memory usage in some circumstances; it usually rears its ugly head after a couple of thousand words of typing in full screen mode. It is caused by a combination of things that Scrivener does in the background and Snow Leopard doing these things slower than earlier systems (Snow Leopard consumes much more memory for one thing in particular). I have recently spent over a month optimising this, but the optimisations won’t see the light of day until 2.0, unfortunately. If you quit and restart Scrivener, everything should be fast again.

All the best,
Keith

P.S. No, this forum is fine! :slight_smile:

Keith, that’s the weird thing - I haven’t been in fullscreen mode. Normal editor mode with binder/info pane on the sides. (It’s FAR worse when I’m typing in the index card/synopsis field than the document text, oddly.)

Quitting and restarting didn’t help, but I’m game to try it again!

Heath

Curious. Could you please try the following? When it gets slow, go to the Terminal (Terminal.app in ~/Applications/Utilities) and type the following:

sample Scrivener 10 -file scrivenersample.txt

Then hit return and immediately switch to Scrivener and type away as fast as you can - random mashing of the keys preferably - for 10 seconds.

This should create a file entitled scrivenersample.txt in your home directory which should tell me what Scrivener is doing in the background that is eating up all the time while you are typing. So if you send this file to me at support AT literatureandlatte DOT com, it might give me an idea about what is going on.

Thanks,
Keith

Sent. Thanks for looking into it.

H