Slowness with Scrivener 3 and Dropbox syncing

I originally posted this as a reply to another topic describing a similar problem, but since the other one was by someone using Scrivener 2, I thought it might be wise to repost with the actual version I’m using:

I am using Scrivener 3 on a late 2013 MacBook Pro (Retina 15-inch) running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.2. I save my Scrivener files in a “Scrivener docs” folder in Dropbox. I get the rainbow wheel of doom when I try to open a file, which lasts so long I end up forcing quit (finder says Scrivener “not responding”. After several tries and force quits, I eventually get the wheel of doom but with the progress bar for “rebuilding search indexes.” I’ve had the program open for half an hour now and it’s still rebuilding. The file isn’t even that huge – 2.2 MB. This amount of hang time does make the new version pretty close to unusable. I hope the problem gets fixed soon.

Update – the doc finally did finish rebuilding after about 40 minutes, but even now when I open the file if I select a document in the binder that haven’t already opened I get the wheel of doom for at least 5 minutes before I can view the document. Is anyone else having this problem? I’m hoping there’s a fix, but nothing is coming up with the various searches I’ve tried.

it’s got to be something with that particular project. you should probably contact support, since it does sound like an issue with your files. i doubt you can find a solution to your specific problem in the forum