Small Indent for Scenes

Hi there,

I am getting confused when trying to compile. I would like to have the Section Title and text as shown but subsequent sections to have a small indent. Does anyone know how to do this? I feel like it should be so obvious but I can’t see it.

Kind Regards

I think you will need to define another Section Layout to the parts. One ident for one section and a different indent for the others.

Not an expert though so take this with a grain of salt.

Are you using the chapter folder for anything aside from setting a chapter title? If not, then I’d suggest discarding the folder, naming the first scene instead, and indenting the subsequent scenes for that chapter under it.

Then, you need to create a new section type for either the first scene documents or the sub-scene documents. Name the section type in a way that makes the distinction between them clear to you (and will continue to be clear to you for months or years to come): One that tells you “this is the first scene of a chapter” section type, and another that means “this is a scene that continues a chapter” section type.

Once you have that, you can set up your section types to automatically assign themselves based on binder hierarchy. You can assign section types to each document manually, but I’d save that for odd-ball documents that don’t follow your normal organizational binder structure.

Finally, once that shows up correctly (view the auto-assignments in outline mode in a scrivener editor pane by enabling the section type column), you can bring up the compile window, and assign the section types to section layouts that match what you want (the button at the bottom of the middle pane in your screenshot). If there isn’t a layout that matches what you want for each kind of section type, then you’ll have to duplicate and edit the compile settings that you’ve been using to copy/modify an existing layout.

If you have any trouble with the above, either check out the interactive tutorial project (under the Help menu), the manual (also under Help), the videos they have under the “Learn & Support” link at the top of this page, or come back to the forums here for guidance if none of that helps.

Thank you, Guys for your replies. Sorry for the delay getting back to you. Much appreciated.