Smart collections based on different fields

One of the limitations (I think) of using searches to create smart collections is that you can only search on one field - text, date, notes, synopsis, whatever - at a time. I’ve figured out a workaround which is a bit fiddly to set up, but once it’s done, it’s done.

It boils down to creating a keyword for each element of the search, then searching for all those keywords.

For example, say I want to compile a smart collection which includes just scenes with a particular character, from the second draft. Because one of these criteria is based on Text and one on a metadata field, I can’t search for both in the search box. So…

1. Create a keyword for each criteria of the search - so one for Charactername, and another for Seconddraft.
  2. Open the Keyword HUD (from the Window menu)
  3. Do a search for the character name, making sure Scriv’s searching in the Text field (click on the down arrow at the left of the search box and select it). This will probably bring up all the scenes you want, plus any other document with that character’ s name in it.
  4. Select all the documents in the Collection tab (using cmd- or shift-click).
  5. Drag the charactername keyword from the HUD to the highlighted documents in the Search Results tab. They now have all the Charactername keyword.
  6. In the search box, click on the down arrow, select ‘Draft’ as the field to search and type ‘Second Draft’ as the text in the box. (or however you’ve renamed it, if you have…)
  7. Select the list of documents in the Search results tab. Drag the Seconddraft keyword from the HUD to the list so that all the documents now have that tag too.
  8. In the search box, select keywords, make sure ‘All Words’ is ticked, and type in the two keywords you set up - Charactername and Seconddraft.
  9. Search results now contains the Second draft scenes with the appropriate Character name in them.
  10. Click on the Search box down arrow and Save the search. You now have a dynamic collection matching the criteria.

(NB don’t delete the keywords, and just add the two keywords two any new scenes you write featuring that character.)

Another thing you can do is select the entire search result for axis A, and then press Opt-Cmd-R to select those items in the Binder. Now with that selection, you can perform a search on axis B, making sure to constrain the search to the current binder selection. These instructions can be further repeated for each axis you wish to add.

It’s temporary (since you can’t save transient information like binder selection into a saved search), but works well for quick selections like this. Another thing you can do is forget searching on the second axis and just enable the relevant outliner column. View the search result for axis A in the outliner, then sort by axis B’s column; scroll to the second batch of info. You could then use the above trick if you wanted, to select the batch in the outliner, select them in the binder, and then jump straight to an axis C search.