Smart Collections

It would be great to have Smart Collections that could automatically create collections based on filters. Status being the big one for me. I can’t find a good way to see the status of all my scenes at a quick glance. Being able to look at all the Revised Draft status scenes would be helpful.

Did you know you can save a search as a collection to achieve the same result?

I did not. I will look into this. Thank you.

But these do not update automatically do they? Unlike smart folders in Finder …

Yes, they can be dynamic/smart.

There are two sorts of collection - a static one in which you explicitly drag the documents you want into the collection in the binder.

The other (dynamic) version is when you save a set of search criteria as a collection. Documents will be automatically added to or removed from the collection as they meet or fail the search criteria.

I just went through the manual to read up on this. It is one of those features that is not obvious. Even after I know it is there, it required me consulting the manual.

I think this could be made a lot easier with a “Smart Collection” instead of a “Collection by Search”. Take the pain out of it and think about tidying this corner up for us. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

To be precise, the manual refers to this feature as “Saved Search Result Collection”, which, while admittedly not flowing over the tongue as smoothly as “Smart Collection”, is a heck of a lot more transparent. At least to me.

Name or not, give me a GUI to configure my search items and leave the unobvious complications and Boolean operations out of it. Simplify it for me, the user.

It’s already fairly simple, though, isn’t it?

1. Do a project search (cmd-shift-f) (and optionally select the parameters from the drop-down magnifying icon list – cmd-down arrow does this if you don’t want to use the mouse). The results are shown in the Binder in the ‘Search Results’ Collection.

2. If you want to keep it as a ‘smart’ search, click on the drop-down search box icon again and (after you’ve made any adjustments you want) just ‘Save Search as Collection’.

3. Give it a meaningful name (or accept the default proposed, which is the main search term) and there’s your smart search in perpetuity (you can amend it of course by doing step 2 again.)

It can get more complicated than that if you want to use some of the options, but it doesn’t have to be. It’s a simple process and I’m not sure that adding a different way to achieve the same thing (another dialogue box?) would make much difference, would it?

If you have taken the time to study the manual and then spend thirty minutes with the app figuring it out, maybe it could be referenced as simple. I would not call it simple knowing now how it works, mostly.

This should be a one step process. Find menu item and create a smart search. Anything more than that and you have a feature that is not immediately obvious or intuitive.

It is already more complicated than that for a lot of us. I would love to know how many users even use the “Smart Search” feature. I’m going to go out on a limb and guess, not a lot. The barrier to entry is too great for something that should be simple.

It searches the entire file. No “easy” way for me to exclude research material if I just want a smart search for my book text. What if my label name is also used in the text of the book?

FWIW, the Interactive Tutorial includes a worked example explaining specifically how to create a Search Collection based on the Status field.

Moreover, if you type “status” in the Quick Search bar for the Tutorial project, one of the search results will be ‘Let’s create a collection of all documents with their status marked “To…’

Katherine