Smooth scroll on Full Screen

I’m still in tryout mode with the software, just downloaded it yesterday and like it very much so far.

One tiny niggle I have – I do love writing in Full Screen; the layout is pretty and I appreciate the typewriter mode. But I don’t like that when I put the cursor in the top or bottom portion of the document and begin typing, the text snaps to the midpoint rather than sliding gracefully. I lose the insertion point when it snaps.

I assume this would be a small feature that could be modified with relative ease; it would make work in full screen mode a bit more pleasant.

And thanks for the product.

Hi Doug,

This is actually a feature called “typewriter scrolling” that is switched on by default for full screen and off by default for the main editor, but which can be turned on or off for either. In full screen mode, just put the cursor to the top of the screen to reveal the menu bar, then uncheck “Typewriter Scrolling” in the Text menu.

Personally I like typewriter scrolling for composing new material (which is full screen’s main purpose), but not for editing or adding to existing work.

Hope that helps!
All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith,

Actually this isn’t the issue. I like typewriter scrolling – what I don’t like is the snap-action to the middle. The page should move smoothly to the middle when you start writing in the top or bottom half rather than snapping to the middle. I find the “snap” to be disconcerting, and I lose the insertion point. My eyes would follow the cursor with more facility if the page scrolled smoothly to the center rather than snapping.

Some problems that would have to be addressed:

1. User has Edit Scrivenings on and is 300 pages away from insertion point. Do they have to wait fifteen seconds while Scrivener smoothly scrolls to the right spot? Snap to 500 pixels away and then scroll? That might look awkward.
  2. Is it easy to add this behaviour to the active screen, rather than a placeholder screen. In other words, will the user see letters being typed even as it scrolls? If not, this would only be fun a few times, afterwards it would just be annoying waiting for the application to convince you of how slick it is every time you get an idea and start typing.

Good point, I wasn’t considering a case where the insertion point was 300 pages away; I have no issue with snapping to a page that is not presently on the screen. My concern was more with noticing an edit on the same screen, moving my cursor down or up from the middle, and getting this disconcerting “snap” when I start typing. It would be useful to add smooth scrolling to the active screen only (Yes, and you would see the letters being typed as it scrolled slowly to mid-screen).

I completely agree, the question I had was whether or not that is technically easy to do. Can Apple’s whiz bang stuff operate on live text windows, or does it work on a proxy until fixation? I don’t really know the answer to that, but the feature would be dead if you couldn’t see what you were typing until the animation finished, I think.

+1. The first few times this happened I was quite disoriented. It still interrupts my flow.

There is no way to scroll and type. Either you wait for the auto-scrolling to finish before you can type anything, or typing causes the text to snap into position. You just can’t have both; the text system and scrolling architecture don’t allow for it. Thus I think it’s better to have a second of disorientation as the text snaps into place than to have to wait for several seconds while it scrolls there before being able to type anything.
All the best,
Keith

Some folks pay good money to be disoriented.

Most of them here are children of the 60’s and 70’s.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Ah, too bad. Hopefully the architecture will change in future …

Perhaps a keystroke to center the current cursor mid-screen (maybe there is one already)?

Perhaps a brief visual indication at the cursor/line (a typewriter does indicate your current typing line quite explicitly) whenever such a jump/scroll happens?

These could be useful with typewriter on or off.

Like I say, it won’t change, for the reasons stated.
Best,
Keith

Cmd-J will centre the display on the current cursor position. This works in pretty much any OS app as far as I know.

Those who have problems locating the cursor, could use the “Text Editing” pane of the Preferences and select “Use Block Cursor” and set the width that suits them to make it more visible than the standard basic line.

:slight_smile:

Good call. Thanks, that does help.
:smiley: