Snapshot Crash Assistance

Hi all,

Despite Lee’s best efforts, there is still as late as beta 049 a lingering rare bug that seems to affect only a small handful of users, causing a crash when a document snapshot is taken. None of the L&L team has ever been able to reproduce this bug, testing on a range of systems, and the reports we’ve received on this have been scarce enough that we haven’t found the common trigger–likely to be something with the specific machine setup. We’d really like to get rid of this bug once and for all, so if you are one of the users experiencing this crash, we’d greatly appreciate your help.

1. Clarify if this crash happens
  • In every project, not just specific ones
  • Regardless of how you take the snapshot (Ctrl-5, Documents>Snapshot>Take Snapshot)
  • Whether or not you take a snapshot with a title
  • Whether taking a snapshot of a single document or multiple
  • Regardless of where the focus is (in the editor, in the binder, in the inspector, etc.)
  1. If you could take a short screencast showing the crash, just that visual to see exactly what is happening when would be helpful:
    a. Open Scrivener
    b. Open a test project
    c. Go to Help > About Scrivener so that the version number is visible in the video
    d. Load a document and take a snapshot via Documents > Snapshots> Take Snapshot
    e. Let the crash complete, with all error messages, etc.–leave the error on the screen long enough that it’s readable if we pause the video

2. Try booting your machine in Safe Mode (hold F8 during the Windows start up) and seeing if the crash still happens then. You could also try creating a new user account on the machine and trying from there.

3. To the extent you’re able, specify

• Exactly what version of Windows you are using, including localization and whether it’s 32- or 64-bit and whether your Microsoft patches/service packs are up to date
  • What version of Scrivener you are using, whether you have had earlier versions installed, whether you uninstalled (and precisely what you did to uninstall) before installing the current version, and whether you downloaded and ran the installer of the current version or updated via Help > Check for Updates. If you’re using a NaNoWriMo trial version, please note there are two version numbers possible, so still specify the number but also indicate whether it’s the NaNoWriMo trial.
  • Whether you installed Scrivener as a standard user or as an admin (and if the latter, whether from an admin account or from a standard account using Run as Administrator)
  • Where Scrivener is installed (e.g. “C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener”)
  • Where your projects are saved (e.g. your Documents directory on your local hard drive, a network drive, a USB stick, etc.)
  • Whether you have any difficulties playing .wav files from within Scrivener (import a file into the Research file and play it)
  1. For extra kicks, if you could run two system diagnostic tools and send the resultant files to support AT literatureandlatte DOT com (or post them as attachments here if you’d rather; zip them first), that could reveal a lot. (These just give information on your system setup, no personal information.)
  • System Information:
    a. Click the Windows “Start” button and in the search box type “msinfo32”
    b. Click the program from the results list to run it
    c. Choose File > Save and then give it a name – this will save as a .nfo file
  • DirectX Diagnostic Tool
    a. Click the Windows “Start” button and in the search box type “dxdiag”
    b. Click the program from the results list to run it
    c. Click the “Save All Information” button and give the file a name – this will save as a .txt file

If we can collect as much of the above information as possible, that could go a long way toward helping Lee track down this bug. If you’re able to help out, you can post the responses here with attachments as necessary (selecting the files, right-clicking, and choosing “Send to / Compressed (zipped) file” before uploading them will make this the smoothest process–some file types, including .txt, aren’t accepted by the forum) or send an email to support AT literatureandlatte DOT com with the subject “Snapshot Crash (Windows [version-number])” or similar.

Thank you all for your help!

1. The crash happens in every project. It happens regardless of how I take the snapshot. It happens whether or not I take a snapshot with a title. It happens when I take snapshots of single documents or multiple documents. It happens regardless of where the focus is.

The snapshot appears to be taken, because I can see the documents on the hard drive, and I can roll back to them from within Scrivener. It is only taking the snapshot that causes the problem.

1. see the following screencast. youtube.com/watch?v=Y3Aw385agr4 (sorry about the background noise…the ladies behind me at the coffee shop are pretty chatty)

1. Safe Mode: yep. Still happens.

1. other information
  • OS information.
    Windows Vista, 32-bit, SP2. All Microsoft patches and SP are up to date.

• What version of Scrivener you are using?
    Scrivener Version .49. This version was installed using the Update installer through Scrivener. Past versions, which have experienced the same issue, have been installed either through the in program installer, or by uninstalling and reinstalling Scrivener using Add Remove Programs.

• Installation permissions
    I do not have User controls enabled on my machine currently, so the most recent version it was installed as a standard user with Admin privledges. In the past the application was installed from a standard account using “Run as Administrator”.

• Where Scrivener is installed?
    Scrivener is installed in the following directory. “C:\Program Files\Scrivener”

• Where your projects are saved
    My projects are saved in a variety of locations, but all in folders within the “My Documents” directory on my local hard drive.

• Difficulties playing .wav files from within Scrivener
    I do not have any problems playing .wav files from within Scrivener

1. Diagnostic Files are being emailed right now.

Thanks for trying to figure out what is going on here.

bittergrrl

You are a gem. Thank you.

Hi,

I’ve just emailed you with my own report on the snapshot crash on Win 7 x64, very similar to what bittergrrl experienced.

Best of luck!

steven

Just got this one, too. For what it’s worth, snapshots did work fine for me previously. (I didn’t use them often, but pushed the button, just because it might break. :wink: ) Linux native works fine, but the “snapshot sound” scared the crap out of me–never heard it in the wine/Windows one–could be significant?

• In every project, not just specific ones
    In every project I tried (2)

• Regardless of how you take the snapshot (Ctrl-5, Documents>Snapshot>Take Snapshot)
    Doesn’t matter. I tried ctrl-5, the snapshot button, and documents-snapshot-take snapshot.

• Whether or not you take a snapshot with a title
    Crashes both times.

• Whether taking a snapshot of a single document or multiple
    Kee-rash.

• Regardless of where the focus is (in the editor, in the binder, in the inspector, etc.)
    Tried in all 3 places. Crashed each time.

I’ll get a screencast tomorrow, but i’ve attached the relevant error log.

• Exactly what version of Windows you are using, including localization and whether it’s 32- or 64-bit and whether your Microsoft patches/service packs are up to date

I’m running Scrivener in XP mode using wine 1.3.31. Just tried Windows 7, and it crashed as well.

• What version of Scrivener you are using, whether you have had earlier versions installed, whether you uninstalled (and precisely what you did to uninstall) before installing the current version, and whether you downloaded and ran the installer of the current version or updated via Help > Check for Updates. If you’re using a NaNoWriMo trial version, please note there are two version numbers possible, so still specify the number but also indicate whether it’s the NaNoWriMo trial.

I’m using 049. I updated via the updater. I also got a crash with the updater, but it updated fine. (I can try uninstalling/reinstalling.) I had every version prior to this one installed, including the NaNoWriMo one.

• Whether you installed Scrivener as a standard user or as an admin (and if the latter, whether from an admin account or from a standard account using Run as Administrator)

Moot. It’s in my home dir, and you always have “admin” privs in your home dir.

• Where Scrivener is installed (e.g. “C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener”)

C:\Program Files\Scrivener. More specifically: ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Scrivener

If it matters, my home partition is on a separate partition from root. Both are ext4. Scrivener is installed in my home directory, so the same partition as my home dir.

• Where your projects are saved (e.g. your Documents directory on your local hard drive, a network drive, a USB stick, etc.)

Both are in my home directory, same partition as where Scrivener is installed.

• Whether you have any difficulties playing .wav files from within Scrivener (import a file into the Research file and play it)

Nope, crashed. To be perfectly honest, I hadn’t tried importing audio before now. :blush:

Interesting…is there a way to disable audio in Scrivener? Wondering if the audio problems are causing it.

I installed directx 10, and it still crashed. Should I uninstall it and try dx9? Do I need quicktime? Which version?
sriv_snapshot_errlog.txt (11.7 KB)

Thank you, Steven!

Garpu, just so I’m clear, were the Win7 tests on WINE or on an actual PC? I wasn’t clear, given your post in the other thread about another computer. (And thank you for the report, too!)

Sorry, getting loopy and tired here. Yes, my tests were with the compatibility mode and WINE. I’ll try a real windows box tomorrow.

Does Scrivener need quicktime? Or at least expect it to be installed? Nope. Installed quicktime 7.6, and it still crashed.

ETA: I do use audio-intensive applications without problems with WINE. (Namely Finale before I switched to lilypond and various video games. Steam requires dx9 and dx10.)

Just as an aside…

I don’t actually hear the snapshot sound when I take a snapshot. I’m pretty sure that I did hear it in previous versions, but there’s no noise coming from Scrivener these days.

I have no idea if that is at all related to anything, but I figured I’d mention it. Also, I made another quick screencast showing what it looks like to have the “Snapshot” area open. Maybe it will help to figure out where in the sequence the crash is happening. youtube.com/watch?v=8XuKFsi8iO0

My fiance just tried: Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit). New project, ctrl-5, no crash.

garpu - When you successfully took snapshots in previous betas (on WINE), did you hear the snapshot sound then?

bittergrrl - Did you have your previous versions installed to the same location as the current one?

Nope. Until I woke the cat with a yell last night, I didn’t know it made a snapshot noise.

Yep. It’s always been installed in the same location.

BTW…I just wanted to say thank you. I know that this was an issue that affected a very small number of people, but it’s awesome that you guys were willing to look into it for us.

Just to report. I installed Scrivener 1.0 today and there are no problems taking a snapshot. I can even do it while hearing the fun snapshot sound!! :slight_smile:

Thanks again!!

Great news! Thank you for being willing to take the time to help us track this down! It’s a relief to have gotten it–it’s been a bug present through a number of betas, but effecting such a small group of users with such varied systems it was proving a nightmare to find and destroy. We really appreciate your help!