Snapshot improvement to help merge document versions

I am using snapshots to compare my latest draft with the one supplied by my editor in Word. While copying the content from Word means I get comments passed into Scrivener, I have to accept or reject changes in Word before import via copy/paste.

A more Scrivener focused workflow would enable me to take a snapshot of my draft (already a function), copy/paste the editor supplied text, take another snapshot and compare the two versions (again, existing functions). But as I look through the comparison in the inspector pane, the versions I have visible in the split panels do not move as I go through the doc.

If they did so, then I could look at the changes and edit/change any I wanted to within Scrivener instead of inside Word. This would be preferable as I’d have immediate access to everything else that Scrivener has to offer. “All” that is requires is for the panes to be in sync with each other as I scroll through the comparison.

I’ve searcged through the forums and on the internet and can find no content that this function is available now, but it would help so many people who review in Word and then copy matter back into Scrivener.

Thanks in advance

Graeme

Sorry for the late reply. It is your quoted “all” that is the problem here, of course. :slight_smile: Trying to recognise which parts of two versions of a document are really the same is very difficult. And of course, if passages have been moved about radically, the scrolling would have to jump about crazily, matching up the passages. But the main problem is matching up the passages accurately for this even to work, given how much a document can potentially change. It’s much more difficult to recognise text that has been edited programmatically than it is for a human to do so.

All the best,
Keith

Keith

Thanks. I used quotes for a reason.

Perhaps you might like to consider an easier solution which would be to have a toggle to sync the scroll of the two versions - useful when there has been light or no rearrangement - and the user could then switch it off when it was time to fly around the doc to see where the text had been shifted.

Just a thought to try to make Scrivener more useful to those of us who want to include it within our external editing processes.

Graeme

@graemeaustin, you might like to consider this:

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/scrivener-to-word-to-editor-to-word-to-scrivener/44929/5

:smiley:

Mark