snapshots gone w/backup file from .15 -> .16

So I made a backup of a scriv file on a system running beta 3 .15. Then copied the zip file to a usb stick. Unzipped it to another machine on which I’d installed beta 3 .16. Loaded my scriv file to find all the text snapshots were gone.

This seems like a pretty serious bug. Anyone else see this?

What is the extent of the missing content: is the entire “Snapshots” subfolder in the .scriv master folder missing, or only some of the folders, or does that all appear to be intact, but they aren’t showing up in the inspector for some reason?

Also what was used to zip it, just right-clicking on the “project.scriv” folder in Explorer?

snapshots folder contains rtf files. I assume of the snapshots I made. But the inspector window is blank.

Also: I made the backup and zip using the backup tool in Scrivener.

Okay, it might be interesting for us to see what is going on in that project then, if there are snapshot files but they aren’t being seen. If the project is something you wouldn’t want to send to support, then might there be one section or two within it that you could? If so, you could try this:

  1. Create a new blank project.
  2. From the one with the empty binder, drag a section or two into the new project’s binder.
  3. Check:

[list=1][*] The snapshots list in the inspector is still empty.

  1. There is still a Snapshots folder on the disk with RTF files that look to have the right content in them.
    [/*:m][/list:o]

If the small sample project reproduces the problem, that should be good enough. If you can’t do any of that, then I can try and walk you through the steps.

Meanwhile, I presume the original copy is fine, it’s just the backup that went nuts? If so, it could be interesting to try and reproduce the same results again. If it happens over and over, on whatever copy is made from File ▸ Back Up ▸ Back Up To…, then that might in fact be the more interesting project (or parts of project, if it can be reproduced that way) for us to look at, than the result.

And if the routine backups themselves are also losing snapshots, something I would definitely check, then it would be a very good idea to go into that project folder in Explorer and zip the Snapshots folder itself, just to be on the safe side.

P.S. What is interesting about this is that the Snapshots folder and its contents is the sole driver for whether there are any snapshots in the interface. There are no separate files that keep track of these, no high level indexes—the presence of Snapshots entirely hinges upon that folder. So that the folder is present but they aren’t is weird, and it might indicate the problem is more along the lines of a display issue, where the UI just isn’t drawing itself properly.