Snow Leopard & 1.52

Good Morning,
Yesterday I installed Snow Leopard and updated to 1.52. Today I wanted to open a .scriv file from my memory stick, my main project, but it won’t open. New projects and a project from my hard drive do open. This is very worrying. Have you any suggestions please? Ali

Copy the stick file to your main drive and try opening it again.
If it doesn’t launch on a double-click, use File: Open from within Scrivener.

If that doesn’t work, could you please post details of exactly what is happening? Any error messages? If none, take a look on the console (~/Applications/Utilities/Console.app) and see if any error messages get logged there.
Thanks,
Keith

An eventful weekend. I tried to open the file from the hard drive, no luck. I have a desktop still running the older version of Scrivener. This software too was unable to open this project either from the stick drive or hard disk. I was able to look at the contents of the .scriv project as txt files. This i did on my laptop allowing me to copy the contents into a new project file by file.

Sunday saw Scrivener give up completely. It hangs on opening. I’ve deleted all programme files and download and reinstalled several times, again no luck.

Am perplexed and frustrated as I really begrudge software issues eating into my time. :exclamation:

How many files do you have inside your .scriv file? Yesterday I became aware of an issue in 1.52 that can cause very slow opening on large projects, to the extent that it may seem to hang and the system may even freeze for a while. Not good at all, and this will be fixed today or tomorrow. If you are experiencing a different issue, though, please elaborate by answering the questions I asked in my previous reply.
Best,
Keith

I’m having some performance issues with the latest versions and 10.6. Some documents which contain many files, some of them large, exhibit increased disk trashing leading to the spinning beach ball. It almost appears as if Scrivener (or Spotlight) is indexing the files.

For example, one Scrivener file (42MB) has 2327 files. Some of the files are bigger then 500K:

find . -type f -size +500k -exec ls -ohnO {} ‘;’
-rw-r–r-- 1 501 - 898K Jan 10 2009 ./1344.rtfd/TXT.rtf
-rw-r–r-- 1 501 - 895K Jan 10 2009 ./1346.rtfd/TXT.rtf
-rw-r–r-- 1 501 - 572K Jan 10 2009 ./1350.rtfd/TXT.rtf
-rw-r–r-- 1 501 - 1.6M Jul 20 01:46 ./1464.rtfd/TXT.rtf
-rw-r–r-- 1 501 - 922K Aug 30 22:35 ./1511.rtfd/TXT.rtf
-rw-r–r-- 1 501 - 504K Aug 30 22:37 ./1512.rtfd/TXT.rtf
-rw-r–r-- 1 501 - 535K Aug 30 22:41 ./1513.rtfd/TXT.rtf
-rw-r–r-- 1 501 - 12M Aug 31 14:55 ./BinderStrings.xml

All the documents are text. There are no images or other media types.

I’m experimenting with reducing the size of the bigger rtf files. While slow, using the Split at Selection (cmd-K) helps to break up the file.

Scrivener appears to run fine until one of the larger rtf files is opened, which causes the performance to suffer even if you are no longer on that file. Scrivener is not hung but very “busy” and appears to be indexing the file (maybe?). Closing the document does not change the cpu load for Scrivener as it appears to be executing tasks related to the document just closed. Restarting Scrivener will stop the execution of the cpu intensive tasks.

Note that I have also observed a increase in mdworker32 cpu load as a navigate the larger files in Scrivener.

In the list above, the file 1464.rtfd/TXT.rtf is 1.6M and has 106,000 words.

Changing to a different file keeps the Scrivener cpu load around 45% for a minute or so before dropping down to single digits. However, after the larger file has been opened, clicking on any of the smaller docs causes Scrivener cpu load back to 50% - 90% before dropping.

Is it possible the performance issues are related to large BinderStrings.xml files being updated?

Model: MacBookPro5,1, BootROM MBP51.0074.B01, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.8 GHz, 4 GB, SMC 1.33f8, OS Version: 10.6 (Build 10A432)

I’m going to email some sample’s taken while busy and not busy.