Snow Leopard Clean Install Question: Serials

I’m seriously thinking about doing a clean install of Snow Leopard tomorrow. Problem is, I’m less that diligent about keeping the license codes for all my apps in one place. Before I search my mail or open all my apps, does anyone have a time saving suggestion?* I looked, and there doesn’t seem to be an app that can scan your Applications folder and auto-log all of your serials. Apparently, me randomly wishing is not a viable path to development.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

most serials seem to be in .plist files. Try simply backing up your home directory then restoring it under snow leopard.

That said you never know what might not work “quite right” for each app but you should be pretty close.

To be a bit more specific check in ~/Library for the plists in question (although at least one app seems to put it in the actual application package).

This depends. Most OS X shareware programs do this, but not all - some seem to hide the information away somewhere in a hidden file so that it is not so easy to circumvent registration. I used to have the same problem as the op, but these days I keep all my serial numbers in a single folder on disk - not much help, I know!

All the best,
Keith

Bit the bullet and manually copied my codes to a numbers spreadsheet. Small (tiny!) hint for those so inclined:

I typed ls /Applications/ into Terminal, which gave me a list of all the apps in my Applications folder. Then I highlighted that list, copied and pasted into a column in Numbers, which assigned one cell to each App.

That may not sound like much, but it’s a helpful way to avoid tediously typing in names.

Ooo! I should do that!

EDIT: Thanks, btw. :smiley:

Keith:

If I want to restore my old 1.51 settings to my freshly-downloaded Scrivener, can I just replace a preferences file?

Best,

S

P.S. Scrivener was the first thing I downloaded on the clean system!

I ran an update install of SL with no problems. So far, only one app has asked for serial number, and that one does on every major system update. Most other apps indicate that an update is available and do an update and install on their own. Biggest benefit of SL is speed and freed space. The apps load almost instantly. (Emended: Final Draft 8 is not yet compatible.)

And one major complaint: since 10.2, users are allowed to organize the Applications folder in a series of folders, sorting out their apps by type: Backup, Chat, Data, Finance, etc. The current Apple engineers seem to have forgotten that proviso.

If Snow Leopard doesn’t see your Apple apps (Automator, Dashboard, etc), it doesn’t replace the old ones, AND it doesn’t place non-conforming apps in System: Incompatible Software. The first situation is an annoyance, in that you have to copy the new apps into their folders; the second one is potentially dangerous. Reunion 9 is not ready for Snow Leopard; I forgot and opened it, and now I’m worried that it may be damaged.

Has anyone else experienced problems with Snow Leopard and Final Draft 8? I find this worrying…

Just a note: Reunion sent out an update this afternoon to be compatible with Snow Leopard.