Some images disappeared

Hello!
I’m on Scrivener 3 ( 3.1.5.1) for Windows. I’m on Windows 11.

I have been working on one document on and off for a while now and I just opened it after leaving it alone for a few months and some of my images have disappeared. The name of the file is showing still in the Binder, but if I click on it, it is just a blank screen. Most of my images are still there, but a few are gone. I’ve even tried reuploading the same images and they won’t show.

What can I do to fix this?

Hi.

Often when bits of a project disappear like that it is because of a cloud service that snatches files from the client’s computer.
If you have OneDrive or something of the likes, make sure that those files (if within its reach) are set to be available offline.

Else, if you don’t mind reimporting your images to your project, it should work if you rename those images first. (Even slightly – like add an x at the end of the name, for e.g…) ← But if the culprit is a cloud service, doing that offers no guarantee it won’t happen again. As a matter of fact, it most likely will.

What I would first do is go into File ▸ Options..., and under the General: Warnings section, enable to checkbox to show logging, then restart Scrivener and open this project.

Flip through a few of the images that should be showing, and keep an eye on the log window for any errors or warnings. We have identified an issue where the newer framework Scrivener was upgraded to some months ago has a hard cap on image sizes—presumably to protect against RAM over-use. We are talking a pretty big cap here to be fair, one that not many would run into. To give an example though, a 600 DPI scan of a sheet of A4 with a lot of detail on it would probably hit the cap. That’s a much larger image than most books would ever need (never mind screen referencing), obviously, and some trimming might not be a bad idea if that’s the situation.

Not on a cloud drive and the files have not changed since I created them. Thanks for responding.

Good suggestion! The log says the files are over 128 mb. They are not. They are under 3 mb.

I have quite a few images in my project. 90% of them are fine and work. They are all in the same folder on my hard drive. They aren’t being compiled, so I guess it doesn’t matter. I just like to have reference images when I’m writing. I can use another program to look at them for now.

Are they under 3mb if you load them in a graphics editing program that shows you the full raster size of the image, though? I believe that is the part that really matters to what is happening here. The compressed size on the disk isn’t what is hitting the cap but the graphics data itself. Images like JPEG files are almost not images, but rather a highly optimised set of instructions for making an image. Once that 3mb set of instructions is run, it could result in more than 128mb of raw pixel data in a grid of some size.

In my experience anyway, if I downsize the physical image past a certain point (not increase or change its compression algorithm, but the pixel data itself), then it starts working.

1 Like

Ok, I dropped one into Photoshop and I see what you mean. I’ve never had this problem before. I THOUGHT I compressed all my files down to small file sizes.

What image formats can Scrivener handle? I tried to do a search, but I couldn’t find anything about file formats.
Suggestions for better compression?

If those images are just as reference, a PNG would do and is rather small.
If you don’t compile the images, you can screenshot them for a super quick conversion.
What I mean is that this way you don’t have to bother converting them in an image editor.

I figured it out. The images were REALLY big in pixel ratio. I just resized them and saved them as jpg. They are all working now. Quality isn’t really an issue since they aren’t being compiled. If I need to include images in the final book when I compile, I’ll worry about quality then. Thanks for the response.

1 Like