Some small but useful additions that are standard elsewhere

I’m just trying out the beta of v3 for Windows and am impressed at some of the changes, some small but yet important too. You’ve obviously been listening.

Here are three others for you to consider that are standard on most wps and could be very helpful:

1. When you highlight and move a word, it doesn’t automatically adjust the spacing. close up or add in spaces for words. It would be good if you could add this facility, which most modern word-processors do without blinking.

2. It would be useful if undoing a drag and drop or cut/paste left the original selected text still highlighted (as MS Word does). Often you undo a change and immediately want to try moving the same text somewhere else.

3. When in a document and looking at project statistics, it would be great if there was a way of Scrivener estimating roughly how many pages through the project that document was (eg: 120 paperback pages out of 322). This would be enormously useful when doing a structural edit. Currently the only way to do this is via a compile.

Number 3 is essentially impossible. You would have to set up a specific compile format for Scrivener to be able to calculate that, which means you would have to compile. And it only works for pdf. Not for mobi or epub.
It’s probably easier for you to decide roughly how many words or characters you aim for.

As an aside, I’ve just checked, because you can do this easily (if approximately) on the Mac version, even without compiling so it’s clearly something the developers would want to do on Windows as well.

At the moment it doesn’t look like you can do it in Windows and I think the limitation is that the Windows toolkit being used doesn’t allow you to stitch individual documents in the Binder in the same way (e.g you can’t select the entire text of a Scrivening even in the Beta, while you can on the Mac), so you can’t choose Page View across the entire document.

FWIW, in case anyone wants to do this who is on a Mac:

1. Go to Project > Statistics > Options and select a sensible word count for your expected page—the default is 350 words for a paperback.

2. Click on the Draft/Manuscript folder and toggle Ctl-1 until it shows you a scrivening of the entire text you want to compile.

3. View > Text Editing > Page View. Page 3 of 189 will appear in the footer bar.

The only bit that doesn’t work on Windows is step 3, as Page View is greyed out for Scrivenings.

I don’t know whether it’s technically possible to make Scrivenings as flexible as on the Mac, or whether it’s on the road map, but it’s clearly something that they’ll want to do at some point if possible.

There are a couple of semi standards that are easy to use.

12 point 5x8 paperback approx 300 words per page. Google, you’ll find figures for different book and font sizes.