Some Strike Through Text Not Displaying in Composition Mode

I have just tried to use Composition Mode for the first time since the purchase of my new laptop (quite a powerful, new gaming laptop).

I am mystified by the fact that when I am using the ‘Default’ Theme, and go into Composition Mode, some of the struck through text in my document is turned into black text (against a black background), whereas other struck through text is white, and readable.

See the first image, below, for what this looks like.

I think that this text was copied and pasted from another document, but that text was regular, black text on the white document background.

Also, I did not have this problem on my previous laptop.

This second image is of the same text as it appears in the non-Composition Mode (‘Default’ Theme).

Any ideas how I can adjust any settings to get all the text to appear legibly in Composition Mode?

Thanks.

Not sure that’ll fix it, but since they are visibly formatted different, what if you paste the formatting of 1. onto 2. ?
Perhaps that’ll get rid of the imported formatting data…

I think that if this was a Scrivener thing, you’d get it everywhere.
It might not even have anything to do with the strikethrough.

1 Like

Thanks, Vincent_Vincent.
That is a good idea; and it worked.

I should have also asked in my original message whether there is a way that I can copy and paste to prevent this happening at the time that I copy and paste - because, now that I think about it - all I did was copied and pasted from various documents to others.

The only thing I sometimes change is the line spacing (because I use single spacing in my notes documents, and stick to double-spacing in my proper text documents).

So, now I am thinking that there must be some role that Scrivener plays in this.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Not that I know of. At least not in a simple one-step way.

As for the cause: I’m thinking you somehow ended up with a redundant specification as to the font being black that Scrivener couldn’t override. But I seriously doubt, if that is the case, that you can get that from copying text from a document to another without that text already being in that state from elsewhere.

If I’m right, you probably can’t change the font color in the editor either (red, for e.g.), and so, that could be a good way to locate and fix the segments that need fixing. → Make all text red, fix what remains black.

Else, possibly something went a tad sideways in the computer transfer. (Hard to tell)

You should test by copying text that you know is ok to another document a couple of times and see… (But as I said, my hunch is that this is not how it happened in the first place; and once fixed, the issue will be gone.)

1 Like

The issue here is that the text pasted in was coloured black specifically, as a character attribute, rather than being uncoloured and therefore letting Scrivener’s default text colour for the separate editors (main and composition mode) “show through”, if you will. Since the default appearance colour for the main editor is black, it was’t noticeable until switching to composition mode. So a future solution to this problem when it occurs is to select the text and then right-click and choose Text Color ▸ Remove Color in the context menu.

You can use Edit ▸ Paste and Match Style to avoid the problem from the start; by pasting as plain text, the paste will pick up the formatting of the preceding text in the editor, so if that’s colourless to start, so will the pasted text be.

4 Likes

I would have expected black not to be truly applied as a color.

There was always a difference between text with a Black color and text with a “default” color. Default color is the box at the top left in the small color palette pop-up at the text color button in the Format Toolbar.

Thanks, Vincent_Vincent.

I will say more about my current experience of this, and what to do about it in my other replies in this thread.

Thanks very much, MimeticMouton.

This is very useful to know.

However, I cannot help think that this problem would be avoided if black was seen as the default text colour, and not as a character attribute.

Also, as I mentioned previously, I did not have this problem on my previous laptop, so that begs the question of why text to which I specifically applied the black character attribute did not ‘show’ as black on that previous laptop, when I went into Composition Mode.

One difference that may account for how things are happening now, is that I am now using Win 11, rather than Win 10 (on my previous laptop).

Thanks again for your message.

The text colour behaviour isn’t anything new in Scrivener or on Windows, so I can’t say what combination of steps might have gone into the appearance of the composition mode text you saw previously. Where you’re copying and pasting text from will make a difference, since it may or may not have a text colour applied and given the ubiquity of black, it is usually harder to recognise as coloured than red or green text. :slight_smile: But all text colour is an attribute written into the RTF, so the only way for Scrivener to not see it is for it to be removed.

1 Like

This approach wouldn’t work for Scrivener’s theme feature. For dark themes, black is not an appropriate color. (Which is what caused your problem in the first place. :nerd_face:)

If text color is set to No Color, then text will be colored based on the active theme.

This is desirable, so when you change themes the text is automatically set to an appropriate color. (Or colors, as some themes, like Default, use multiple colors. E.g. editor color vs. composition mode color.)

Therefore, I’ve found it is best to use No Color in most cases, and set specific colors (e.g. red) for exceptions.

Best,
Jim

1 Like

Thanks very much, Jim.

That makes a lot of sense.

1 Like

Thanks, Jennifer.

As with Jim’s reply, this makes a lot of sense.