Sort

Any chance please of including a Sort icon on the toolbar, also with a Preference option for Ascending. Descending and Shuffle? I find it a real fiddle to have to click Documents>Sort>Ascending every time I add a new item or folder to a project, which I do frequently. Manually re-ordering is not satisfactory, when you have a long list and have to scroll up and down. Thanks.

User since October 2011.
iMac.

No, because this would direct users towards this “destructive” sort feature, which nine times out of ten they won’t want to use. It would highlight the feature too much, essentially.

But a much simpler solution for you would be to use System Preferences to assign keyboard shortcuts to these items, so that you can invoke them with a key combination rather than going through the menus.

All the best,
Keith

Noted, thank you.
Using System Preferences, as you suggest, I have added Scrivener to applications and then assigned a keyboard shortcut for Sort and it’s now shown on menu but it won’t work because I can’t see how to specify Sort >Ascending.

It would be appreciated please if you would provide step-by-step guidance on what I should do. Thank you.

(iMac, Mac OS X v10.6.8)

Here are the full instructions for assigning keyboard shortcuts, although it looks as though you’ve already figured out that part:

scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb … er-for-mac

You need to assign shortcuts to “Ascending”, “Descending” and “Shuffle”, not to “Sort”, though, as “Sort” is just the name of a submenu, not a command in itself.

Thank you. Works really well. I’ll post a question re sorting on another topic.