Sorting the binder

Hi I have 3 questions, Could you please help me figure this out?

1. Undo and Redo don’t seem to work after i’ve edited/moved documents around the binder. Is there any way to make this work?

2. Is there any way to use an keyboard shortcut to move the “documents” in the binder? I want to move certain documents/folders of documents up/down in the list, as well as indent/outdent them so that they can be quickly nested and moved in organized hierarchy . Or is this available in the menu somewhere? Or only possible with the mouse?

3. Is there any way (with an keyboard shortcut or menu option) to create a “nested”/ “outdented” document underneath the one that i am currently working on? I hit command N to create a new document, but is it possible to create a new document nested underneath the one i’m working on?

Thanks, Dan

Also:

1. Is there any way to drag a piece of text to a document in the binder to “append to it”. When i drag it, it creates a new nested document underneath it. But can it just be added to the end/beginning of the document its dragged to?

2. Is there any way to make it so that the group mode stay on one mode by default ? Currently, when i click on a document that has another document nested underneath it, i need to hit the left button above where it says group mode on the top of the screen (i think its called document mode) to be able to see the document as well as the nested document on the same page. Whenever i click away from that document, i need to repeat this every time i click on a document to see its nested documents on the same page. Is there any way to make it stay on the “document” mode that i want by default?

1. Undo/Redo are not presently available in this context. It may not always be that way, but it’s a bit tricky from a technical standpoint. That type of view was never built with undo in mind at the infrastructural level.

2. Yes: §7.3, Binder Controls, on pg. 68, might be of interest to you.

3. Not directly, but as a second chord of Cmd-N using the above controls, yes.

4. Not precisely in the manner you are describing. Dragging text into the binder drops the text as a new item there, as you note. However you can drag a binder item into the current editor to append its text at the drop location. For working in the other direction like you describe, the process is not drag and drop, but the use of the Edit/Append Selection to Document menu command (also available when right-clicking on text).
    If you append to a handful of documents repetitively, consider marking them as favourites—that will elevate them to the top of this Append menu as well as all other menus that present that binder list as choices (like View/Quick Reference).

5. Yes: the Treat all documents with subdocuments as folders option in the Navigation preference pane does what you’re looking for. This impacts everything—not just the view mode. File groups will now create nested items by default when you select them and hit Return or Cmd-N (unless of course you have Always create new items as siblings enabled, below), and numerous other interface differences between folders and file groups will all be normalised.