Spacing

Hi! I’m a slightly different user for Scrivener/Scrivener Gold. I use it to write fanfiction and also organize and write role-playing games. I’m loving the new beta version of Scrivener and definitely plan to buy the full version.

The one thing that I would love to see in the next beta version is an easier way to fix spacing in the documents. I saw where you can fix the sentence spacing (single, 1.5 and double) in the preferences, but it’s kind of hard to fix it in the documents itself. For example, if I paste stuff into the new documents, sometimes the spacing comes in as double and eventually I’m able to fix it, but there’s no way to change it as easily as fonts, color, etc. Is there some way around this or am I missing a feature somewhere?

• Megs

I was about to open a thread on the same issue, but DQBunny preceded me. I fully support his request for an easier / more transparent way of fixing spacing between lines.

Welcome to Scrivener, Meg.

There actually is a fairly easy way to set up spacing. There are two ways.

The first method is to set things up correctly in your defaults, as it sounds like you have already done. Every new document you make from now on will have these settings, simple as that. In the cases where you have imported documents, or changed your preferences after having created some already – you can still go back and tell Scrivener to apply your defaults to existing documents, too. Try it by selecting a document in the Binder, going to the Edit menu, and choose “Convert Format of Selected Documents” and then “Default Format”. You will get a warning about how some styling will get messed up and that you cannot undo. If you have a lot of bold and italics already – this method may not be the best. I suggest saving a backup (see File menu), first and then playing with this feature. Get comfortable with it, and know what it will and will not destroy. The nice thing about it is that it will fix many documents at once. So if you can use it, do.

The second method is what you want to use if you have a lot of styles and the above method will mess up your documents. This method of changing line spacing is inherent to every Apple application that has a Ruler, not just Scrivener. So this trick will hopefully help you out in a lot of applications. To activate the Ruler in Scrivener, simply press Cmd-R, or located the command it Text>Ruler>Show Ruler. You should be able to figure out what to do from here, because you’ll recognise this ruler from the one that is located in the preferences. Just remember you’ll need to select all of your text in the document before applying the ruler settings. This will not touch your font, bold, size, or other style settings. The drawback is that you can only effect one document at a time.

Thanks, AmberV, for answering this one. As stated, the spacing can be set up in the preferences. If you want to change existing documents, convert them via the Edit menu. If you want to paste from another app, you can use “Paste and Match Style”. Everything is pretty much Cocoa test system standard here.

All the best,
Keith