Specific folder instead of the default folder for project target word count


I’ve found something strange, maybe you could help, it’s frustrating. I tried to play with the options in the project target menu but without success.

So, I write all the chapters of the first draft inside a folder.
Then when I rewrite, I use another folder, etc.
But I don’t put these folders inside the “your project title default folder”, I just use it like any other folder. Why ? Because I don’t want to have a useless indentation.

I’ve found that the default usage, if you want to have a count of your words (for the “project target”), is like this :

Default folder of your project
└ 1st Draft
└─ chapter
└─ chapter
└ Rewrite 1
└─ chapter
└─ chapter
└ Rewrite 2
└ Etc

But I tend to work like that :

1st Draft (could be “default project folder”)
└ chapter
└ chapter
Rewrite 1
└ chapter
└ chapter
Rewrite 2
└ chapter
└ chapter

But in this case, if I write in the “Rewrite 1” folder for example, it doesn’t count the words here (again, only for project target word count, session word count works fine).

So, is it possible to change the way it counts ?
Maybe to have a word count for any file I check for compile, anywhere in the project ?
Or I don’t know, to change the default folder ?

Thanks !

You can rename the “Draft” or “Manuscript” (or whatever it’s called) folder – many of the templates do that already. However, it is a special folder regardless of what it is called, and that is where Scrivener expects to see your actual manuscript draft so it knows where to begin compiling, etc.

What you could do is keep that folder as your “active” folder, then have additional folders outside of it to move your previous draft material to once you start a rewrite.

1 Like

Hm… I guess I’ll stick with the default then.
Thanks for helping !

I have this problem too. It seems to count everything, including inline annotations-- which is how I talk to myself in my book and leave myself notes and things. I really wish there was a way to get it to not count inline annotations.

There are two different ways to exclude inline annotations:

  1. In the editor, click on the stats in the footer bar. By default the extended stats in that popup exclude all “asides”. This works across Scrivenings sessions as well.
  2. For larger-scale checks, click on the highest level folder(s) you want to count (could even be Draft), and then use the Project ▸ Statistics... command. First go into the Options tab and tick Exclude comments and annotations, then activate the Selected Documents tab.

The reason for why these require dialogue boxes and such is that it would very quickly become a performance hog to weed that kind of stuff out, for the live counters, as you type.

1 Like

That’s how I do have it set now.

Can I use Project → Statistics on a selection? I never tried that.

I still wish I could turn it off though, even for the simpler cases. I have a helluva system (a technical term…) that can chew through number-crunching like nobody’s business… it would really be more useful that way, IMO.


Just tried it and it does work fine, but it takes awhile to come up with those stats. Have to compile the whole thing to find out.


I’d be happy if I could just do it on demand, and only for the items I’ve selected. I don’t mind the NOT cooked numbers for the most part, but sometimes I want to know how much I’ve written without the inline comments.



Yeah, running a background compile is necessary for a more accurate count, but if you set the flag at the bottom to “Fast” it may work better.

I think there may also be a bug in that if you use the selection tab it should stick to that tab the next time you open it, and defer the compile process needed for the first tab only.

As for optimisation, it’s made tougher by the fact that inline annotations are a kind of formatting that isn’t indexed anywhere. It would be like getting a word count of only italic text. The only way to do that is to do a full trawl between every keystroke.