Specifiy font for different languages/Unicode blocks

So, I’m currently writing using four types of characters: Latin, Polytonic Greek, Hebrew, and Syriac. As far as I know, there is no font in the world that can render all of them properly with support for bold and italic text; so I have to use multiple fonts. Is there any way of specifying in the compiler what font to assign to what Unicode block, or perhaps a way of changing the fallback font so Scrivener doesn’t switch back to system font every time a character doesn’t appear in the current font?

I would suggest not changing the font in the compiler in a situation like this. Assign the font you want in the editor, as you write. This is one of the rare occasions where you might want to use Styles for most text, so that you can use such and such a font for all Hebrew text, and then if necessary change it throughout the manuscript by editing the style. (And similarly, you can use the Compile command to change the formatting for that Style if you need to.)

The problem with telling Scrivener to use a different fallback font is that it isn’t portable. The system font is used precisely because every Mac has it installed. (Also, the choice of fallback font is not under Scrivener’s control. It’s an aspect of the Mac text system that Scrivener uses or, in the case of ePub documents, the reader software being used.)

Katherine

There’s not a way to automatically set Scrivener to change between fonts for languages, but if you set up a character style for each of the “special” fonts you want to use (leaving your main font as the default used with No Style) and just switch into and out of that style when writing (or apply it afterward), the styled text’s font will be preserved on compile even if you override the default font. You’ll also have the opportunity when compiling to change the fonts used by the individual styles by editing the compile format and adding those styles to the format, as described in section 24.5 of the user manual. You won’t have to, but you’ll have the option.

This applies for compiling to file formats that allow you to specify fonts that way–PDF, Print, RTF, etc. (though obviously anything like an RTF or DOCX will also depend on the program opening the file to support and have access to that font). Ebooks will be a different story, as these are usually limited to the small set of default fonts on the specific device, and Scrivener is not able to embed fonts within the book, which would also require a license for using the font that way. If you need that specifically, you’ll want to look at other more specialized tools to handle that after you complete your writing in Scrivener.