Speech Problem

I upgraded to 2.0 a while back and when I did the Speech function, which reads your text, went from a reasonable facsimile of a human to the musical robot voice that plays when I load up iChat (I know I set up iChat to do this a long time ago and that it isn’t standard).

Is there an easy way to get the Speech function back to how it sounded before the upgrade?

Scrivener has no effect over the speech function, other than asking OS X to read or not - the upgrade had no effect over what voice is used. To choose the voice used in programs that support speech, go to the “Speech” pane of your System Preferences to choose the system voice, which is what Scrivener and other speech-supporting text programs use. (The voice used changed between Leopard an Snow Leopard, I believe, so have you updated your system from Tiger or Leopard to Snow Leopard or Lion recently? That would explain why it’s now different to what you’re used to.)

All the best,
Keith

I thought that the default voice from 10.4 onward was Alex (Which is the nice almost humanlike synth that you heard.) I usually hear Eloquence since my wife is a JAWS user so, Alex is a nice breath of fresh air… (Alex is the only Speech Synth that I’ve ever heard that has taken a breath…)

Josh

No, Alex wasn’t on Tiger. Looking it up, he was introduced in Leopard.
All the best,
Keith

That doesn’t sound quite right… Alex was released with the system update that gave us Voice Over (At least 10.4.3.)

Eh, Anyway, It sounds like the default system voice has changed for our OP…

Josh

I’m going to have to argue, sorry. :slight_smile: My first Mac ran Tiger, and I remember the major OS update that introduced Alex, as he had a much more “natural” voice and it was touted as a big feature of the OS update. Thus, it was at least Leopard. And in fact, if you Google it, you will see that Alex was indeed introduced in Leopard:

tuaw.com/2007/10/26/24-hours … -mac-os-x/

google.com/search?q=os%20x%2 … d&ie=UTF-8

Maybe you’re thinking of Vicki, who was added with Panther?

Anyway, this is why I think the change for the op may have been caused by an update - if Jinmoonlight was on Tiger (the earliest system Scrivener ran on) and recently updated the OS, then the default speech voice would indeed have changed.

All the best,
Keith