spell check glitch

I have finished a book and would like to spell check it.
When I go to Edit>Spelling and Grammar, the option to check document now is grayed out.
How do I activate Spell Check to check my document before sending it out?
Thanks.[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 11.12.39 AM.png[/attachment]

You need to have the editor focussed, not the binder.

:slight_smile:

Mark

You need to have the editor focussed, not the binder.

:slight_smile:

Mark

I just realized I asked this question again this year.
I am still having the same problem and hoping someone will have a clearer answer.
Mark, I thank you for your answer but I don’t know what you mean by “have the editor focussed”.
Sorry to be so thick but could you elaborate this reply?
Thanks.

It means “have the insertion point flashing inside the text you want to check.” In other words, click inside the editor pane first.

Hope this helps!

To say it another way, modern computer systems can have several windows on the screen at the same time. Only one of them can interact with the controls at once, though (imagine the chaos if a keyboard shortcut to “Undo” was honored by every open program at the same time…) Whichever window is currently the one that can interact with the controls (receive input from them) is the one that “has focus.”

Different operating systems use different methods to determine which window has focus, but in general, your mouse cursor (plus often an additional click) is used.

In complex applications like productivity software, media editors, etc. where you can have multiple control regions within a single window, you may need to further select a portion of the window to have focus. Scrivener falls into this category. When you can have the Binder, the Inspector, multiple editors and copyholders and QR panes up, one of them has to be selected – to have focus (and which menu and keyboard shortcut options work, and how they work, may vary accordingly.)

So, in Scrivener, in order for the spell check option to be an active choice, you have to have Scrivener as the active program and have your cursor in one of your editors, and have clicked within the editor so that the editor has received focus. Then, Scrivener knows that performing a spell check is a valid option to run, and will make it available in the menu. If you had focus in the Binder, Scrivener knows that’s not a valid combination.