Spell check: project specific 'learned' words

Is there any way to have a set of ‘learned’ words for a specific project, or even just for Scrivener?
I’ve got large numbers of character and place names that I should probably have the spell checker ‘learn’ so I can pick out any errors, but I’m hesitant to add these as system-wide learned words, as they are never going to be used in any other app/document.

The only thing I’ve found I can do is to ‘learn’ them until I’ve completed my project and then individually remove them from my ~/Library/Spelling/LocalDictionary file. Are there any other options anyone knows of? Thanks.

1 Like

Hi,

There’s no way of doing this, I’m afraid, as Scrivener just hooks into the system-wide OS X dictionary. You can add the words as auto-complete words, though, Edit > Edit Auto-Complete List. That way you can just type the first letter or letters of the word and hit cmd-period or opt-Esc to bring up the list of completions and use the arrow keys and return to select the one you want. That way you know they’re all the same, at least.

All the best,
Keith

Are you sure? No email-exchange about the subject, no letters, project pitches etc. written in another text processor than Scrivener? No Keynote presentation? No website?

I do just the contrary: I add as many specific words as possible, glad they are available in no matter which application. I know I’ll need them there.

I have not studied at the format of ~/Library/Spelling/LocalDictionary file, but could you not create a project file in similar format named PrjName_Unique and then copy them into the LocalDIctionary file? That way you can track what words go with which project (which would make it easier to remove them at some future date if so desired).

A quick glance says that LocalDictionary is a TextEdit file with one word per line. :smiley:

I’d also love this feature! I don’t need my made up names and fantasy words from one project polluting spell-checking in another, let alone outside of Scrivener. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

At a glance, this does seem like something that might be supported in the API: Apple Developer Documentation .