Spell Check

Hi All,

I use Scrivener daily on my Desktop pc (Win 7) and I love it! :smiley:

I have had no problems with this linux version so far, except the spell checker. I’m guessing that’s just “normal” for the beta version?

Thanks again to the guys who put the latest package together. It was extremely easy for a Linux novice, like me, to install!

Tracy

I can’t believe how fast my old lap top is running on linux!!

Had this problem too - you need to install libaspell-dev.

I thought it a good thing to refresh this thread. It solved my problem. Installed libaspell-dev from the repo (Antix Debian Testing) and it instantly brought spell-checking alive in Scrivener. :smiley:

Many, many thanks! (Few of us are born to lay in the cradle typing out #![GB]: milk -nip on the CLI. These little tips are real app-savers.)

=GB=

Everytime I see this question I get my hopes up, but I need to make sure.

In the past when you install libaspell-dev all that happens is that spellcheck works. It does NOT recognize any libraries, so what happens is every fifth word on the page gets underlined.

Has that problem been solved? Because a working spellcheck without a working spellcheck library still seems useless to me.

On Ubuntu 12.10 (32 bit) installing libaspell-dev finally turned on spell checking. It seems to work correctly now and recognizes the “English (American)” library. Thanks for the tip.

I’ve got a big list of words not recognized by Scrivener, but the command line aspell seems to get as spelled correctly. (It’ll flag the word as spelled incorrectly, offer the word you spelled correctly as the first choice, but still remain flagged as incorrect after you’ve changed it to the first suggestion.) Odd thing I didn’t have this problem with 32-bit Slackware, and it’s mostly words over 8 letters long. I’m switching back to Slackware soon (64 bit), so it’ll be interesting to see if I have the same issues. I’m betting not, since Slackware’s multilib libraries are the 32-bit installation material.

Every so often I come back to check to see if the spellchecker issue has been resolved (I’ve been using the Windows version under Wine since the middle of last year). 'Lo and behold: it has! No more long startup times and wonky fonting. So happy!

I had to install libaspell-dev to make this work, btw.

Hello everyone,

It still does not work for me. I tried every recommendation in vain…

I am using Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit (I installed the 32 bit libraries)

Thanks

M

I’m also using Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit, and I got spell check working. I installed ia32-libs, then lib32aspell. Spell check then started working. I’m not sure what you mean by “the 32 bit libraries” - have you got lib32aspell installed?

At the probable risk of sounding redundant, I thought I’d mention that it was also necessary to install aspell-en (the English dictionary) to get the spell-checker working.

Silly, I know … but sometimes we overlook the obvious. In this case, it wasn’t all that obvious. :open_mouth:

Hi,

I’m running Linux Mint 14 Nadia and I’ve been trying unsuccessfully to make spell check work in Scrivener. It seems that people in this thread have found a solution, so I’m hoping I can get some help here! I’m a complete n00b on linux, so please be patient :slight_smile:

First, I installed Scrivener, realized spell check wasn’t working, then installed libaspell-dev and libaspell15 using getlibs. It wouldn’t install at first because /usr/lib32 didn’t exist, so I created it and then it installed (maybe this was the problem?) I then un-installed Scrivener and installed it again with --force-architecture. No dice.

Then I installed aspell and aspell-en-gb. Nada.

Then I read all the topics here on spell check, and most were completely over my head. Then I googled unsuccessfully for 2 hours (I could be writing! Argh!)

Would any of you be able to clearly write some step by step instructions to get this to work?

Thanks in advance for your help!

If you’re running a 64 bit system, my experience is there’s no way to get it to completely work. You can get it to the point where it will start identifying mispelled words (i.e. underlining them etc) but it will still have no vocabulary to work from so it will underline almost everything, and it won’t retain any memory of words you try to “teach” it the next time you reboot.

If it’s a 32bit system, I think the packages you need to have installed are listed in this thread.

I’m running on a 64 bit system (Ubuntu 12.10), and the only issue I have is that some words are underlined that shouldn’t be. If I use the “Learn Spelling” function, the underline disappears and doesn’t re-appear, even after a reboot.

I suspect you have a higher tolerance for the red squiggly than I do. The difference between what it marks as mispelled on a 64 bit system and what it marks as mispelled on a 32 bit system is staggering.

Quite possibly, though I have found that it remembers words that I have taught it, which seems to be the opposite of your experience. Ultimately, though, we’re all different - what’s a deal-breaker to one person is a minor irritation to another. Vive la difference! :slight_smile:

odd, it was working after I installed libaspell-dev, then stopped working later. Tried loading the other packages mentioned for 64bit libraries but no luck (but can’t find lib32aspell on ubuntu 12.10)

ubuntu 12.10 - 64bit, 3.5.0-27-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Mon Mar 25 19:58:17 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I have been battling the spell check faeries too, malevolent creatures they are, indeed.

I had used the DEB file for installation on my Ubuntu 13.04 (and previous versions) 64-bit install, but I could NEVER get the spell check to work. I tried all the suggestions, ia32, getlibs, old lib32aspell pakcages, installing aspell into the scrivener libs dir. You name it, I tried it. And failed.

Then I removed Scrivener, about to rage-quit, and installed it using the tar file in a moment of clear-sighted sanity, into my home directory. I now get red squiggles and a somewhat functional spellchecker. The red-sheet beyond my eyes has subsided.

Some correctly spelled words are squiggled, and the suggested replacement is the identical word. Meh.

But it does seem to remember learned words and ignored words. But these are early days and I may just be getting false-positives.

I don’t know which aspell install technique is the trigger for making spelling to work, as I said, I tried 'em all.

Perhaps my fellow head-smacking Scrivener enthusiasts can try this too and comment back about their experiences. Hopefully we can get a few steps closer to nailing this spell check issue.

Oh, and to L&L, thanks for the great software!

Just tried mcpop’s method but it didn’t work for me. I love this application but my spelling is horrible. Debating between going back to libre office or using scrivener with a dictionary until this is fixed.

Oh, that’s a shame. Did you install it into your home directory?

I suspect my problem when installing with a DEB package was a permissions issue. When I exploded the tarball, I did it into my home directory as my own user, not root or sudo.

Does the problem exist if you create a new project?

Good luck.

If you are running 64 bit linux, there is only ONE way that I have found to get scrivener spell check to work reliably:

1. Set up a 32-bit schroot

help.ubuntu.com/community/DebootstrapChroot

1. Fiddle with it until you get x apps to work properly in it.

2. Install Scrivener in that.

That’s right, to get a proper spellcheck functionality in the linux app you have to install a complete 32 bit operating system in your 64 bit operating system. It. Makes. No. Sense.