Spelling/Autocorrect???

I’ve poked around a bit and seen that there is a Lion bug that results in corrupt spelling libraries, and have seen that Scrivener itself has no code in autocorrect/spelling check. I’m not quite sure this applies here if that is the case, BUT I cannot replicate this in Pages, only in Scrivener, so I’m making you aware of this. What happens is this: I’m typing along and autocorrect steps in and corrects a partial word before I’m done. Latest instance: typing “summarize” - autocorrect steps in at ‘s-u-m-m-a-r’ and changes it to ‘s-u-m-m-e-r’ so that I end up with “summerize” at the end of the word. As I said, this does not happen in Pages, but only in Scrivener.

Running Mac OS X 10.7.3 on MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Scrivener version 2.2 (15858)

I would appreciate knowing if this is something I should report to Apple or if it is something y’all can handle seeing to. Thanks!

Hi,

That’s not the auto-correct bug that others have reported, but as you note, auto-correct is handled by OS X and not Scrivener, so this is down to that. That said, I can’t reproduce this at all. What language is set up under Edit > Spelling and Grammar > Show Spelling and Grammar? It sounds as though you have “Correct spelling errors as you type” turned on in the Corrections preferences, too. You can also check what’s set up in your System Preferences for this sort of thing, under “Language & Text” > Text. That is ultimately responsible.

Note that Pages still uses its own auto-correction system, I believe, rather than the built-in OS X one. A better application to test in to see if this is a system-wide problem is TextEdit.

All the best,
Keith

I can’t replicate in TextEdit either. I’ve changed no settings, but have looked, and TextEdit is also set to correct as I type, which is what I want it to do - the squiggly red lines under misspelled words are one of the very few things I’m compulsive about; I’m not compulsive about much, but what I am compulsive about, I am COMPULSIVE about.

Language is set for “Automatic by Language”, since there are quite a few passages in Irish Gaelic, a couple in Scots Gaelic, and a smattering of French mixed in with the US English most of the work is done in.

Any suggestions which will allow me to keep correcting as I type and not having to go back and un-correct the mistaken corrections? (I do not, BTW, get the little pop-up with the suggested spelling and the option to ignore that, as I do with some other misspellings.)

And thanks for your prompt reply. :slight_smile: