Spelling bug (023)

There’s some weirdness with spellcheck and multiple documents being viewed.

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/spelling-ubuntu-11-04/12616/7

If more than one document is viewed, spellcheck doesn’t show. If only one is viewed, it’ll show up. I’ve seen this in both linux native and windows/wine, both in 023 and 022.

Thanks, I’ve marked this is for Windows and Linux, etc. Oh spellingz. :confused:

Hey all, just jumped into the beta pool here, after doing a couple of wrimos in a row in March and April, mainly on an old Alphasmart Dana (amazing what you can do when you have no internet access) that didn’t do any spell checking (amazing what I can misspell when I have no autocorrect :open_mouth: ). Ended up with a 120k or so of first draft novel looking for a home for the next steps, and was delighted to find that my windows bound self can jump into the Scrivener beta.

However, perhaps I should have read ahead, pulled the entire thing into Word, done a spell check, and only then gone through and broken everything down into scenes. Ah, hindsight.

Having not done that, I’ve been messing with trying to spell check everything, and it appears that there are a couple of use cases/user stories that aren’t working at the moment, or aren’t supported yet.

The first is that as a user who has just imported my manuscript (and broken it into hundreds of scenes), I want to spell check my entire manuscript.
As noted above, it appears that any time there is more than one text selected and displayed, spell checking is not functioning.

The second is that as a user checking spelling, I want the newly found misspelled word to be highlighted in the text so that I can find it.
I see that this is the default functionality, but at several points during the day I’ve run into a situation where the display didn’t locate and highlight the word, even though the word was being found in the spelling dialog box, though I suppose this could be caused by whatever is causing the multi-text spelling not to function.

Finally, as a user checking spelling, I want to be able to add the capitalized version of a word to the dictionary and have the lowercase versions also be added.
This may just be the library used in the beta, but I found that it didn’t recognize a fairly common word used in dialog (at least in my less than polished MS :wink: ), that being “okay.” When I added the first occurrence of this, which was at the beginning of a sentence and so therefore had initial caps, the initial lowercase version was not recognized.

Hope that helps. Thanks for working on this project. It’s delightful to work in a word processing software that is intended first for creative work, not corporate work. :mrgreen: I’m looking forward to helping out if I can with bug finding, and to getting the release version when it comes out.