Splashtop Remote. Scrivener on the IPad!

splashtop.com/remote

Finally Scrivener works on the IPad! Over WiFi at least. It takes some getting used to but it rocks to be using Scrivener on an IPad. It’s a great remote desktop program that actually works. Next NaNoWriMo I will be able to use my favorite writing program rather than settling for something that just does the job. It does require snow leopard as a minimum O.S. Oh, did I mention it works on windows systems too? Coolest App I’ve seen thus far.

I tried this, and it works well, so far as connecting to my desktop is concerned. After using it, I have a question: I use Citrix with my work computers. In fact, that’s the reason I have an iPad. Citrix, combined with the iPad, simplifies a lot of things on my job. Now I’m wondering if I could use Citrix to access my home computer, as well.

FWIW, Splashtop seems to run faster than Citrix, although Citrix is accessing a big server with lots of stuff and Splashtop is just accessing my desktop. Splashtop is easy to set up. I have no idea how hard it is to set up Citrix, since the IT guy at work did it for me. Also, Citrix is free.

I’m just tossing this out there in case anyone is interested in looking at options.

Even though Splashtop does a nice job of putting my desktop on my iPad, I don’t much like running Scrivener with it. The iPad screen seems too small for the Scrivener real estate.

Sorry about the x2 posts, but I thought of another difference between Citrix and Splashtop. Citrix accesses my office computer from anywhere. If I understand it correctly, Splashtop is limited to my home network. I may be wrong about that, but if I’m right, that’s an important difference.

Citrix might be a good option for someone wishing to run Scrivener on an iPad. I don’t know. As I said earlier, I discovered I don’t much like running Scrivener on an iPad. I guess I’m just an Alphasmart kind of girl.