I just had Scrivener crash when I was trying to split at selection, but I may have been using Scrivener in a non-supported fashion.
I have two monitors, running Windows 7.
I started Scrivener and it opened at the Tutorial, which I had been working through.
I did Open > Project and opened my novel. It appeared in a separate screen, which I moved to the left. This novel is an import from an RTF from a Word 2007 version. I hadn’t made any changes to it yet; it was one long novel.
I wanted to start splitting it up, so I positioned at Chapter 2 The Story Begins (dumb title, but it’s just for my use). Chapter 2 wouldn’t highlight, probably because it was an autonumber Heading1 in the Word version, so I just highlighted The Story Begins and chose Documents > Split > with Selection as Title.
At that point, the little rotating circle appeared, then the message that Scrivener had stopped responding.
Aha! I just tried it again, with only my novel open and got the same result.
I tried just “at Selection” and it also stopped responding.
I tried it without selecting anything, just positioning the cursor, and choosing “at Selection” and it stopped responding.
I tried splitting at the paragraph following and it worked without crashing.
Interestingly enough, after I did the successful split, I tried splitting at an autonumber Heading2, which is how I separated scenes in Word. (Using headings for scenes means I can display the Document Map in Word and see the scene names on the left. I can’t re-arrange or anything, but at least I can see them.)
Splitting the Heading2 worked without a problem. There’s no real difference in the way I set up the autonumbering in the Heading1s and Heading2s, though.