Split Binder

The ability to split the binder like the editor and have the alternate binder show either collections or a particular folder.

For example, if I have the the top binder showing Draft with one of it’s 30+ chapters expanded to the scene level, I can have my Places or Research folder expanded in the other view.

Ideally, the split could be resized, similar to the split horizontal editor view.

P.S. My apologies if this is getting posted twice, I’ve waited a while and it doesn’t seem to be showing up.

Have you tried using Collections, yet? It’s not exactly what you are asking for, but I believe it does address what you are struggling with: the ability to bring together disparate components of a longer outline so that they can be all presented together in a “spaceless” place. Using your example, you can select the scenes of your chapter, hit the + button (or use Documents/Add to Collection/New Collection)—maybe even just leave it untitled if this is a temporary thing you don’t care to keep, and then go back to the Binder and drag in all of the pieces you feel are relevant, that you would like in your workspace.

That may not work as well if you just need general access to an unpredictable quantity of information in the research section and elsewhere, though. In that case I would myself split the editor into two and load the chapter section into the left split as an Outline or Corkboard, then lock it so it stays put, and use the right split as my primary. This leaves the Binder visible to one area, and the section I’m focussing on in the left split—kind of what you are asking for.

Rather than split the binder, just load the outliner in one of the editors.
All the best,
Keith

I also request the ability to split the binder, like the editor, into two horizontal windows, that can scroll independently.

I have tried the solutions offered in this thread, and they do not come even close to answering the need for independently scrolling binder windows.

Given how fundamental the split editor is to Scrivener, I’m a little surprised that this request has been sitting around for this long, without more comment or implementation.

An alternative solution to independently scrolling Binder windows in the current configuration, might be to float the second Binder Window with an optional always on top feature. This approach may allow the use of already written routines for floating windows in other parts of the application. Stick in that floating window wrapper the Binder routine. I know this is simplified, but is only meant to spark the concept of an alternative approach.

Another alternative solution is to allow for shortcuts the user can create to different parts of the binder on the fly. These shortcuts could be added to one of the toolbars or even another separate “Binder Hop Around Shortcuts” toolbar could be added. The first shortcuts are to the editor windows that have the current focus before hopping arouind is started. This could actually be a great solution that is much easier to program.

The inability of Scrivener to expand to even two external monitors on my MBP 16", makes this feature missed even more. I’m trying to move around a complex binder outline in one monitor! Please see bug report:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=63354

Please Add: View > Binder Layout > Split Horizontally, with associated buttons and shortcuts … and a hop around thingy. Oh, and all the needed programming to make that happen would also be nice :slight_smile:

Thanks for your reconsideration of this request.

The request was answered above by KB, who is the owner of the company, the designer of Scrivener, the one who does the coding, and the one who decides what is implemented or not.

Your drive-by contributed nothing to this thread. Programs evolve. Opinions change. What was once impossible becomes very possible programmatically. My post pointed out some additional approaches that may not have been available in the past.

Or maybe I missed the point of this forum Lunk, and making suggestions is really not valued.

True that after 7 years and a major revision on the Mac side, a re-inquiry is appropriate. Hope that someone from from L&L stops by with at least a “Sorry, still not happening…”

However, if it’s a major feature that might affect both Mac and Windows (as it seems it might be), even if it goes on the list it will likely need to wait until after Windows v. 3 release.

Lec,

You can already do the second of your alternatives, in two ways:

a) You can of course already give a shortcut to specific folders (just make sure you enter the full menu path in the System Preferences shortcut definition panel (e.g. Navigation->Go To->Front Matter). You do need the full path, because the folder names appear in more than one place.

b) (And more convenient, I find, because you don’t have to set anything up) you can go directly to any document or folder in the binder with Ctl-opt-g and entering part of the document name - you don’t have to enter much to narrow the choice down. Once the document is in the editor, cmd-opt-r reveals it in the binder.

Hopefully you’ll find one of these useful as a workaround.

As noted above, you can open all or part of the Binder in Outline view in either or both panes of a split editor, and can then open documents from any of those panes into a floating Quick Reference pane.

The Bookmarks panel will float, and bookmarking a folder allows you to open any of the documents in the folder from the floating panel. You can also use the Bookmarks panel to create a secondary editor window, with the Bookmarks list functioning as a secondary Binder.

Bookmarks in particular are a Scrivener 3 feature, and as such didn’t exist when this thread was created. You could consider them to be Keith’s solution to the request.

(Bookmarks are available in the Windows Scrivener 3 beta.)

Katherine

Thanks for the replies.

The global Projects Bookmarks, when tied with a split editor, perfectly accomplishes moving around the Binder and throwing the bookmark to the lower editor. The upper editor serves as the anchor point. Or you could bookmark both and use both editors for squirreling around the binder on a walkabout. The Tutorial Project explains it nicely, but this application didn’t connect in my head.

This is really a great solution. Not just adequate, but … great.

Nice work L&L.

Thanks again for the responses.