Split Layout and the Binder, a conundrum...

Hi, not sure what has happened (possibly me having several beta builds installed prior to V2.3), but the upper panel in a vertical split layout does not respond to changing selection in the binder, always the bottom panel does, even when upper panel is “focussed”. Neither panel is locked according to the blue, not red highlight on the panel header and no checkmark in the locked menu item. Am I doing something dumb, or do I need to try to hack a setting somewhere. Failing that I’ll try to flush my preferences,but fast approaching deadline makes me not want to fiddle too much…

Hi,

Go to View > Binder Affects - it sounds as though the binder is set up to affect a particular pane.

All the best,
Keith

So, not so much a conundrum, as this user being dumb…

:blush:

Thanks Keith, and just to gush like a giggly infatuated teenager, Scrivener is such a spectacular and wonderfully wonderously wonderful program. My hopefully to be reached deadline and my very sanity are eternally in your debt…

I like to draw a distinction between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is just a lack of knowledge (whether you forgot or never knew something), whereas stupidity is the inability to reason, and to a lesser extent – the inability or unwillingness to remedy one’s ignorance.

There’s a lot to know about Scrivener, so ignorance of one of it’s many functions is excusable. Especially when you have “writer brain,” which is the term I use for when most of my mental faculties are devoted to creating a story, and not so much dedicated niceties like verbal communication, computer operation, or personal grooming.

While we’re on the subject, my dear Robert, I can’t help noticing a little quirk – you seem to habitually write “it’s” where convention suggests that we should write “its” (the former conventionally being used to stand for “it is” or “it has”). Not sure if you are declaring linguistic independence by doing so, or betraying “lack of knowledge” :wink: of something that is even more complex than Scrivener (this extraordinary language of ours). I used to mark exams for Cambridge ESOL, so I’m afraid I have an overdeveloped radar for these little details. It’s odd though – I’ve never seen anyone write “hi’s”, but I have seen people write “her’s”. Apparently the former looks so bizarre that alarm bells sound before anyone writes it, but the latter doesn’t look bizarre enough to set off the alert mechanism.

Pardon the observation – made in the spirit of “adding to our collective awareness”!

Martin.

le sigh I am always doing that. It’s a very bad, long-standing habit that I find hard to break when I’m composing. And it doesn’t stand out to me when I do a quick proofread. :blush: I have to concentrate and remember that “it’s ~ he’s ~ she’s” before I can tell if I got it wrong.

Thanks for pointing that out. You’ll probably see an increase in correct usage from me for about week before I fall back into bad habits. :unamused:

Sorry! – as I said, several years of teaching EFL and marking exams. Perhaps it might be better to ask yourself “would I write hi’s at this point?” It might be a better alarm.

All the best, Martin.

No reason to be sorry. I’m the buffoon who can’t keep it’s and its straight*. I’d rather be momentarily embarrassed by having a bad habit pointed out than to carry on looking illiterate, with everyone quietly overlooking my consistent mistakes.

Thank you for pointing out. Really. I can’t undo 30-something years of this habit without a occasional nudge.

This actually reminds me of an idea I had for proofreading my manuscripts. Using the replacements tab, I could replace every instance of it’s with “it’s (it is)”, so that I can be forcefully reminded that I used a contraction, and to make sure that it makes sense in that context. That could work for all kinds of common (for me) mistakes that don’t jump out when I’m reading.

• This (unfortunately for me) is a perfect example of borderline dumbitude. My inability to learn the correct form of the possessive ‘it’. I am aware (not ignorant) of the distinction between its and it’s, but fail to learn it again and again.