This happens, but not often … maybe 10x in the approximate year I’ve used Scrivener regularly.
S. simply stopped abruptly ‘yesterday’ (i.e., the day before I typed this line):
I had been using the program about five hours and
updated or produced 72 files (‘documents’, notes, synopses, one checksum);
to a total of about one MB of stuff.
(Not a lot of files or data though several of the files were likely updated more than once; overall, it was a typical Scrivener day for me to that point.)
The shutdown occurred while I was mouse-navigating three sub-menues from the right-click Move in order to move a file one level down in Resources — it occurred when I left-clicked on the destination folder.
This doesn’t happen often, the latest prior occurrence was several weeks ago and this is the first time I gave it much diagnostic thought: However the setting of the Stop — length of S. session and during a sub-menu Move — felt familiar.
(I don’t mouse the sub-menues often to move files, mostly click-drag them or keystroke through the sub-menues; and the number of files handled was ‘normal’.)
The files above were preserved up-to-date; however, the notes I had pasted into a scratchpad file throughout the session were lost.
Early on in my use of Scrivener, I did get similar shutdowns if I got impatient with a long Project Search (or document Sort), clicking in the Scrivener window while it was not responding: if I did not tell Windows to close S., the Search would complete – successfully – then sometimes close. (I think I mentioned this once, long ago; I’m more patient now.)
(The “maybe 10x in the approx…” applies to the sub-menu Moves.)