Stability problems

I have experienced some rather persistent stability problems, which I’ll try to describe as exactly as possible.

I imported from DT Pro into Scr. a whole book (some 400 pages in print), consisting of some 15 rtf-documents. No images, no tables, no notes, no bold, few italics. In other words: the documents did not contain notorious trouble makers. And yet, as soon as after having imported these documents I tried to move up and down some of them in the binder panel, the pizza wheel appeared, and refused to go away: so “force quit” was the only possible way out. After having experienced various times the same phenomenon, I decided to close the project and to jot down these lines.

Another imperfection: Scr. was not always able to read the exact names of certain documents: "“II.1”, for instance, was read as “II-1”; “VIII” was read as “VII-1”.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

Hmm. Strange. I’ve imported numerous documents from DT with no problems at all. And I did have lot of trouble makers in my docs. But I didn’t do the importing all at once. At max, I imported only 8 docs at a time, and none of them were huge. Maybe it’s the size of the docs?

Can’t confirm the name issue either. Sorry. Everything imported perfectly. Like I said, strange. I would guess there is something about your rtfs that confused Scr.?

Yes, very strange. I’ve imported around the same amount of content and S handled it as if it were nothing. I did it all in one shot too. Around 300 pages and 460 images. The images caused problems with b1 in the Corkboard, but in b2 I haven’t had any problems.

I’d suggest importing each of the 15 one after the other, and see if you can narrow it down to a problem document. Do a few tests after each import to make sure everything is still running smooth.

There are at least three issues in beta 2 that can cause crashes. One is having media files embedded in a text view; another is having tooltips that contain whitespace only (eg. synopses with whitespace only). Er, and there is at least one other I fixed.

Document names are taken directly from the filenames, so I am guessing that there must have been issues there rather than with Scrivener itself.

As ever, though, bug reports are of little use without crash logs and steps to reproduce. Please send me your Scrivener crash log (see the sticky thread in this forum if you’re not sure how) and explain how to reproduce the bug. If necessary, send me the files that are needed to recreate it. You can make use a search and replace in DevonThink or wherever to turn the actual text into gobbledegook.

I want to make Scrivener as stable as possible. But I cannot do this unless beta testers send me the files and crash logs that help me sort this out.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

P.S. If I sound a little irritable, don’t take it personally: my MacBook has just started shutting down randomly, so it looks like it’s off for repair and I’m trying to get through these threads as quickly as possible in the fear that it will shut down on me. :frowning:

That truly sucks. I’d be more than irritable at that point. Good luck with it!

I can’t send a crash log, because Scr. didn’t crash: it only produced the spinning wheel, after which I forced quit.

But I retried: I deleted the imported documents from Scr. and then followed AmberV’s suggestion, importing the documents as a ‘nude’ series of documents: the first time I had not imported the documents as such, but the folder which contained them. Perhaps that made the difference; anyway, everything seems to work fine now.

Thanks. I do wonder if it is to do with one of the bugs I fixed for beta 3. There were a couple that could cause the spinning beachball issue. If you come across it again, let me know how to reproduce it. Glad you have things working now. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Keith

There is, however, something with regard to the documents’ export I don’t understand.

I tried to export a single document with some annotations and some notes, with the option “export notes” activated.
I first exported as RTFD: the annotations were exported correctly, but the notes only as numbers: the first note was exported as [1], the second as [2], and so on. But I didn’t see the text of the notes.
I then exported as RTF, with the same option activated: this time the annotations nor the notes were exported.

What am I doing wrong?

There is a section in the FAQ regarding which options should be used, depending upon the application you will be using to read the RTF/Ds. Unfortunately, the issue is made complex by the fact that most applications on the Mac do not properly address the full RTF specifications. Apple’s TextEdit, and any Cocoa application using the rich text engine that TextEdit uses, will see neither comments nor footnotes. You’ll need to use something like Mellel, NeoOffice, or Pages. The only word processor I know of that handles everything Scrivener can export is Microsoft Word, unfortunately.

Sorry if this is not quite what you were asking about. I assumed by “notes” you meant footnotes, since the concept of exporting notes in Scrivener deals with the dedicated Notes rich text field that is located in the Supporting Materials pane of the Inspector. Those should never come up numbered.

Oh, and when you do see your footnotes numbered in brackets like that, check down at the very bottom of the document. They should be there – as that means Scrivener embedded them as text into the document, and anything that can read RTF should be able to see them.

I should expand that section in the FAQ a bit. A table showing what options to use depending upon what you’ll be using to read the files, would be helpful.

Thanks, AmberV! But I guess it’s better to continue this discussion in another thread, because we’re not talking about bugs anymore.