Start up from a disk image

Hey folks,

Sorry if this topic has come up before, a brief search didn’t uncover it. I want to run Scrivener from a disk image. This is something I need to do just given the configuration of where the app sits and how certain files I work with are located within an encrypted disk image. Every time I launch Scrivener from within the disk image, a copy of the app is created in the /Applications directory (if it didn’t exist previously) and I get the below dialog. Also, I have noted that upgrades that I am notified of do not install. For example I am on v2.2 now and v2.3 is available. If I run the installer and relaunch Scrivener, it is still at v2.2. All other operations work without issue once the app is up and running.

Any recommendations in this area?

I’m unfamiliar with any scenarios that would require you to launch applications from a read-only disk image. Do you not have full write permissions into your user folder? An acceptable alternative to installing the application onto the hard drive is to put it in your user folder. You would create an “Applications” folder at the top level (along with Music, Documents, etc), and then drag it in there. If you do not have administrative rights to the computer this will work without any further hassle.

However it sounds to me as though you do have rights since you say it successfully installs on the machine. If you’ve got it installed in the main Applications folder, I don’t understand why you would need to execute the software from the installation disk? This wouldn’t actually do anything of benefit in regards to encryption. Sorry if I’m not understanding the scope of your situation, I’m just having a hard time thinking of any technical difference at the OS level between executing the software from the disk image, vs. Applications. Once it is running, it isn’t doing anything different. The main reason we put that protection system in place is because people were dragging the software from the install disk to the Dock, not realising that only makes a shortcut to a resource they are likely to delete down the road.

At any rate, as stated above, the installation disk is read-only, so the software cannot upgrade itself on something that is as static as a CD-ROM.