Start Wearing Purple (NiaD 2017)

SWP-medium.jpg
Start Wearing Purple was written as a Novel in a Day on October 28, 2017.

Three versions were produced: Blue, Orange, and Red.

BLUE was written by:
Ian Philpot, Luscinia Evan, Marc Cooper
Kaide Li, Nick Calvert, S.R. Martin
Sanusha S Sritharan, Ioa Petra’ka, Conrad Gempf
Adela Torres, Alex Brantham, David Johnson
Kirt van der Woude, Julia Pierce, Tim Edwards-Hart
Alex Schuler, Waleed Ovase, Dañiel Garcia
Jason Newton, Greg Ray

ORANGE was written by:
Ian Philpot, T Granger, Elizabeth Mead
Kaide Li, Kimberlee Gerstmann, Eric Christiansen
Sanusha S Sritharan, Isidora Regenbogen, Conrad Gempf
Adela Torres, Wendy Christopher, David Johnson
Nils Cordes, Lin Yanxiang, Tim Edwards-Hart
Pete Becker, Ron Ward, Jaysen O’Dell
Jason Newton, Heather Lovelace-Gilpin

RED was written by:
Patrick Edmonds, Mark Rothwell, Elizabeth Mead
Kaide Li, Michael Bywater, Eric Christiansen
Sam Pynes, B. Morris Allen, Mathieu Nicolas
Adela Torres, Keith Blount, Owen Garner
Aiden Dunfield, Sue Cowling, LG Red
Lee Powell, Waleed Ovase, Jaysen O’Dell
R. Dale Guthrie, Heather Lovelace-Gilpin

You can download the books for free here:
Blue_PDF
Blue_ePub
Blue_mobi

Orange_PDF
Orange_ePub
Orange_mobi

Red_PDF
Red_ePub
Red_mobi

All of the versions above were compiled using the Mac version 3 beta of Scrivener.

You can download the Scrivener 3.0 project (which includes all the chapter briefs sent out to participants) here (v3 / iOS compatible). You can download a Scrivener project that is compatible with Mac v2 / Windows / iOS here.

The compile settings for the Mac version 3 beta are here.
The compile settings for Mac version 2 are here.

This year's NiaD is dedicated to Montrée Whiles. One of the good ones.

Congratulations everyone! Can’t wait to read at least one of these.

Oh, and forgive me red edition readers, but I always turn off spell checking while I write, so I don’t lose forward momentum. I forgot to spell check before I turned my chapter in, and already found a typo in the second paragraph. :blush:

We did it! Thanks Pigfender!

You have company, lol. I have some typos, too, because I am a slowpoke and didn´t have time to do a proper edit or spellcheck :blush:

Is there a reason why my chapter appeared in all the versions?

The usual reason, if I am correct, is that the people who were supposed to write that chapter in the other versions didn’t get theirs turned in by the deadline.

Oh gosh, that happened to my chapter too! Sorry to have to inflict it upon all three versions, guys.

haha I had that thought too!

I’ve started reading the (blue) book and already I’m laughing. It turned out great!

Reading the Red book. I think it’s a great tribute to Rog’s story creating ability that he can give you a minimal chapter brief, leaving you to make what you can of it, with no concept, at least in my case, of what genre this novel is, what part the characters you know about have in the overall story … and then find that your burblings fit in, even though your use of language differs from those in the other chapters.

I had come to the conclusion—while mulling it over after I’d sent it in—that my chapter must be the final chapter, but I was completely wrong.

Rog, hearty congratulations on another masterpiece of storytelling.

:slight_smile:

What a crazy and fun thing to take part in. Many thanks, Pigfender!

How fortunate that at least one version of each of the chapters showed up!

Thanks for the kind words, all! :slight_smile:

I’ve updated a more complete Mac v2 / Windows project file, as well as some compile settings that will produce a very similar looking book on Mac 2.x.

For what it’s worth, I did once again prepare a(n unofficial) Bespoke Edition of this year’s NiaD.

http://gbrish.net/niadweb/2017

For those unfamiliar, this is a web version of the book which contains every version of every chapter and lets you navigate through the book following the chapter versions of your choice.

One thing I like this for is to read what different people did working from the same starting point for a chapter. My restive mind knows there are multiple versions and so I find I can’t get on with it without at least taking a look at how our poor beleaguered characters are faring in the other versions.

Perhaps the true book is the one on the far side of the prism. So, it takes reading all three at once to even see it.

-gr

p.s. It does take a bit of text manipulation to set this up, so I hope I didn’t garble anyone’s chapter in the process. Feel free to drop me a note if I gummed something up.

Huge congrats to everyone who took part - we done good, I think. :slight_smile:

And it’s fun to read the different versions and see how the mood and tone changes between them, even when the brief for the story was the same.

Fantastic! :smiley:

Oh, no. All my mistakes revealed :slight_smile:

Well, how else am I to feel better about my own? :blush: :smiling_imp: