step ahead or back - transcribing

I have searched the forums and the documentation so either I’m doing something wrong, no one else is trying to use this feature, or it’s not working.

I have an Intel MacBook Pro, 2.16GhZ, OS X 10.5.2

When playing a .wma file for transcription in the split window view, the Apple+Enter function works to toggle start and stop, but the keyboard commands to step media forward/step media back (⌥⌘{ or ⌥⌘} - Opt+Apple+{ or }). It doesn’t seem to matter if the file is .wma or .mp3, or if the split window is the active window or not. ⌥⌘{ toggles the active window back one history button. ⌥⌘} gives an error beep.

Assuming I perhaps was misreading the shortcut key, I also tried ⌥⌘+Shift+{ and }. This toggles the file off and on like Apple+Enter but does not skip forward or back.

I should also note that clicking on the Quicktime option under View and choosing “Step” forward or back with a mouse click also results in the file simply stopping, not skipping forward or backward.

In a non split window, the keyboard commands do not work but the mouse-click menu commands seem to work, going forward one second and backward one second at a time.

This isn’t a make or break deal (I already registered) but I’m wondering if this is user error (with me, ENTIRELY POSSIBLE) or if this is a “known issue” with Leopard or something like that.

Thanks,

AuK

Hi,

Your second attempt at the keyboard shortcut is correct - it is technically shift+opt+cmd+[ and ], as the shift+[ or ] is required to make { or } (admittedly having it show the shift character there would be more useful, but unfortunately that’s the way keyboard shortcuts are displayed in Apple menus).

These shortcuts just call QuickTimes built-in commands “step backward” and “step forward”. Playing with it myself, it does seem that these commands also have the effect of stopping the movie if it is playing. So, if a movie is playing and you hit one of these commands, then the movie will just stop. You then have to hit them again to move back and forward, and then hit cmd-enter to start playing the movie again. As I say, I’m just using built-in QuickTime methods for this. See if this helps and let me know.

All the best,
Keith

Hi there,

sorry for getting back on that one two years after it seemed to be solved, but unfortunately I couldn’t find any other forum post that seemed to be dealing with the same issue.

So I also got a MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz (which is the late 2006 revision in my case), but running Mac OS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard. The keyboard shortcuts Scrivener shows to me aren’t working either. I’ve got a german keyboard layout and thought that that might be the problem as there are no extra keys for [ or ] (those brackets are alt+5 and alt+6 here).
By desperately trying almost all kinds of key-combinations I found out that alt+option+9 actually does the stepping forward, but just in a non-splitted window. I a splitted one with the focus on the text window it reformats the text (aligning it right). Nevertheless I unfortunately couldn’t figure out the combination for stepping backwards - neither in splitted nor unsplitted windows - which would help much more in the transcription process.

For any kind of hint how to step backwards in a splitted window I would be so thankful.
Norbert

Have you tried changing the keyboard shortcuts using System Preferences? I’m wondering if it is a clash between keyboard layouts, in which case you should be able to get it working by applying shortcuts that are more convenient for you. You just need to define shortcuts for Scrivener’s “Step Media Forward” and “Step Media Backward” in the Keyboard pane of the System Preferences. Let me know if that works.
All the best,
Keith

I tried that already yesterday, but apparently couldn’t figure out the right way to do it.
The thing I tried yesterday was to redefine the global Quicktime shortcuts for those commands, but I somehow failed.

Here is how I solved it thanks to your advice: I added two new custom keyboard shurtcuts under shurtcuts for programmes just for Scrivener like alt+option+shift+left arrow for “step media backward” and alt+option+shift+right arrow for “step media forward” in my case and it just works perfectly fine now.

Thanks a lot for that fast reply!
Norbert

Glad that worked! It definitely sounds like a keyboard layout conflict, then. It may be that the keyboard shortcuts assigned by default have a deeper system meaning on the German layout. (It’s almost impossible to avoid conflicts entirely for every possible keyboard layout given the number of shortcuts Scrivener assigns.) I’d be interested to hear if other German users have the same problem, though, as it may be something we need to put on our wiki.

Thanks,
Keith