Still compiling errors?[ADDRESSED]

I’m not sure if this has already been mentioned, and if it has, I apologize in advance, but I’m still having issues with the compile feature.

In Scrivener itself, I use single-spaced Calibri 13 with no indents. When I compile, I try to change the font to double-spaced Courier 12 with first-line indents, but the compiled PDF uses the same format as the Scrivener editor.

I do not have the “Compile as-is” button checked on anything except the very first file in my Draft folder, which is a title page. I am running 1.6, after doing an uninstall on 1.55 and making sure the prior folders were completely cleaned before installing the new version.

Again, I’m not sure if this bug has been recognized and set to be fixed at a later date, but I thought I had heard somewhere that it was already being addressed, so I just wanted to make sure that you know it’s still around, at least on certain machines.

Bump?

I checked the Known Bug List for Compile Draft bugs, and it seems like what I mentioned above is not listed… so I’d really like to know if I’m the only person having this problem still, and if so, what I’m doing wrong.

Thanks!

I’m able to get compile to work correctly, going with the settings you describe (minus the specific font, because I haven’t got it), so here are a couple things to check:

In the compile settings in “Formatting,” make sure you’ve checked the box to “override existing text and notes formatting with formatting selected below.”

Then be sure that in the “below” section, you’ve highlighted all the different text sections and adjusted the formatting. When you click in the text area, sections will get selected: title, meta-data, synopsis [header], synopsis, notes [header], notes, and finally text [header] and text. Since text is the last one displayed, you may not actually see it in the sample area without scrolling down, and it could be that you’ve missed adjusting the formatting for it.

Oy. How embarrassing! I wasn’t clicking the “override existing text” button right in the Formatting window. There are so many places for you to check this to over-ride and uncheck this to over-ride. I didn’t think there could possibly be another!

Thanks, though! We can chock this “bug” up to my stupidity! Woo hoo!

Don’t be embarrassed, personally I don’t like this override function - it’s legacy of the Mac and one of the few things I don’t like. In fact, I’ve tried to make it even more obvious on Windows.

The Mac check box for this reads: Override text and notes formatting. On Windows it reads: Override text and notes formatting with formatting selected below.

Either way though, it stumped you exactly the same as it stumped me the first time I used Scrivener. It would be far more intuitive to reverse the logic i.e. a checkbox that read: Retain text and notes formatting. But that’s just me.

Lee

I agree with you cos I always forget to switch it on! I always end up doing a second compile. Any possibility of disabling this feature in future?

Heh. And I was just going to report this “bug” as well. :wink:

More coffee needed.

I agree with the comments to change the check box setting to retain rather than override.