Stopping sync

I have a file that is synced to an external folder. But I don’t want it to be synced to anything any longer. How do I stop the sync? When I go sync>external folder the path will not delete. Thanks.

Just delete the actual folder. :slight_smile:

I did that, but it just forces me to find another External Folder to sync to. I don’t want it to sync to any folder any more. I want the “sync to” box to be blank.

I’ve never had problems with just deleting the sync folder, or even just ignoring it. I mean, if you call up the sync interface again, that’s one thing, but if the folder is gone, it shouldn’t be checking for change or anything any more even if you have that automation turned on.

But if you have it set to automatically sync, it may tell you the folder isn’t available. You need to go into the File > Sync > with External Folder settings and turn off “Check external folder on project open and automatically sync on close”. Otherwise Scrivener will think you want to sync when you open and close the project. If that is turned off, Scrivener won’t try to sync unless you ask it to.

All the best,
Keith

You know, I thought that, but when I tested it (deleting the sync folder and then closing and opening the edited project, with that option on) I didn’t get any messages about it.

On that note, is there any way to deselect that preference and have it “stick” without running the sync? The only other option is “cancel” and that wipes any changes you made.

No, there’s not a way of doing that at the moment.

Maybe I’m going about his all wrong. I have my files autosaved to dropbox. But I use two different macs in two different places. Sometimes the Internet is down at either place. Can I save to dropbox AND save locally in the same format without it being that annoying Draft folder? I just want a .scriv file that’s the same, in 2 places: dropbox and my desktop. You all are a big help. Thanks.

If I could sync and it be in the .scriv format I think all would work fine. Is this possible?

When I just delete the destination folder and when I unchecked “Check for external… on close” it pops up " The folder selected for syncing is invalid. The destination folder cannot be used either because it does not exist or because it is not a folder. Please choose or create a different folder." It’s like an infinite loop.

Choose another folder (just create one as a dummy folder if you want), then uncheck the setting, then go through the process, then delete the folder afterwards. There’s clearly a bit of a flaw in the logic here that I’ll look at, but this should see you right.

Also, from your comments about wanting to share work between two different computers - you weren’t trying to sync the same folder to two projects on different computers, were you? Because that could lead to disaster and very messed-up projects. The best thing to do, as mentioned in various threads elsewhere, is just to save your .scriv file into your Dropbox folder and open it on whichever computer you are using, being careful about the following:

1. Never open the project on one computer if it is already open on the other (Scrivener will warn you if this is the case - don’t ignore the warning).

2. Make sure that Dropbox is fully synced before opening the project.

3. Ensure automatic backups are turned on and set to backup a zipped version of your project to your local hard drive.

Follow these precautions and you should be good to open your project directly from your Dropbox folder.

All the best,
Keith

Ideally that would be great but I’ve received warnings about recommening not syncing to dropbox for some reason. Besides, what if internet is down and dropbox won’t open? There’s got to be a simple way. It seems like a normal situation. Writing one book. Working from two locations. On two different macs. Internet is intermittent. Need a good backup. I’m just overly confused in setting it up.

If the internet isn’t working then you wouldn’t be able to sync between computers anyway, no matter what syncing system you used. The great thing about Dropbox though is that it is just a folder on your local hard drive that gets synced with a copy of the folder online, and then with a copy of that folder on other computers too. So, yes, if your internet is slow and your Dropbox folder won’t sync, then you’ll have problems - but that will be the case no matter what way of syncing you use, as I say.

If your internet is intermittent, you’d be best moving your work between computers on a thumb drive or suchlike. But if you do that, zip up the project and copy it to your thumb drive, and then copy it to your hard drive and unzip it - do not work directly off the thumb drive as thumb drives are slow and unreliable.

All the best,
Keith