Storing non Scrivener files in .scriv folder

Is it advisable to store non Scrivener files directly inside the .scriv folder? (e.g. Photoshop files)

I’m not sure if the software utilizes the .scriv folder somehow or if it’s purely a folder, so I’m not sure if it’ll mess anything up. It would be nice to have less of a folder hierarchy for my projects, but not at the expense of any of the files.

Any info on this would be great. Thanks!

It’s better not to. Scrivener monitors the .scriv folder and alterations to files there can adversely affect the project. You won’t necessarily corrupt the project just by saving a file there, but it opens the door for accidentally manipulating another one that shouldn’t be touched, and down the road Scrivener will likely be keeping a tighter ship and reporting unknown files within the project folder as a precaution–the Mac version already does this sort of thing as a safety net for files that exist but aren’t listed in the index file, automatically recovering them into the project. In a case where the .scrivx file was damaged, that’s quite helpful, but if you’re just using the folder to store external files it would start to create a mess.

The better method is either to create another parallel folder for your reference materials, linking to them via the Project or Document references within the project, or to import the files into the project and then use the Documents > Open > in External Editor option to view or edit unsupported files.

I create a parent folder for the books that I tinker with. It contains the scrivener project of the same name, plus any other files that I don’t want to import. It keeps my writing folder tidier that way, but I can always find the files related to a given project.

1 Like

Great, thanks for the help!

I know this is an old post, but I have been wondering the same thing. I have other files, word, excel, pdf etc. that are specifically related to the project and wanted to create a folder within the scriv folder for them. I’ll just make a parent folder with same name and put the Scrivener project in the parent and my other files within the parent folder.

Edit post: Rethinking that due to limitation on path name length in Windows, that would essentially increase the path length. I guess I’ll make a folder with the same name as the scriv folder, append something to it so they sort next to each other in the folder where I keep scriv projects.

The “Research” folder method not working for you?

I was talking about the physical files that I might copy data from or link to from the research folder. There are some that I don’t want to save somewhere else on my hard. I just wanted them in one folder with the project. Creating a separate folder with same name as the project is working. Thanks.

Interesting talk here.

• a completely separate folder for materials works, but then there’s not a package.
  • putting Scrivener’s project in the same as any organzation for extras works, but then you don’t have a possible a single folder to put a group of Scriener projects in, which would have made it easy to open another.
  • it makes me think a nice solution might be to train Scrivener in future to ignore, not files, but folders which it doesn’t recognize within its project. Now you could have a Scrivener project and all its extras together, plus the easy viewing and opening of other Scrivener projects…
  • …and in this last forumlation, Scrivener could present you a simple list of those folders, like the list of Research items. When you asked by double clicking or a right-mouse menu, Scrivener would simply pop an OS File View window on that desired folder, so that you could deal tih th its contents in normal ways that Scrivener doesn’t have anything to do with.

…if you see what I mean :slight_smile: (midnight design imagination)

It used to be possible to inadvertently save a project’s backup inside the project itself. And then a backup inside that …

It didn’t go well.

The whole point of the project package is that it’s self-contained. Scrivener knows about everything that’s in it. Having things in the project folder that are not managed by Scrivener directly is a recipe for all sorts of nightmares.

4 Likes

I view conversations like this as the result of a shortcoming in the Windows OS.

I’ve always assumed if the Windows OS offered a feature similar to the Mac’s concept of a “package”, then L&L would have designed Scrivener Windows to utilize this feature. That is, a container that’s really just a folder (hence no performance hit for L&L to use it) but by default users would not be able to store stuff inside it. This would provide L&L with a “secure” place to store Scrivener project assets and only Scrivener project assets.

Presumably L&L doesn’t zip their .scriv like a .docx for performance reasons. But perhaps they should. No user would ever consider unzipping a .docx and storing their personal files & folders inside the .docx container, and nobody begrudges Microsoft a space to store their Word assets. :nerd_face:

Best,
Jim

1 Like

That’s correct. Given that GB+ projects are not unusual, the need to manipulate the entire project as a unit even for routine save operations is crushing. We actually tried it internally at one point and it made the program effectively unusable.

2 Likes

Oh, I take your point – that was just a midnight ramble; sometimes turns up a better thought.

Bouncing off JimRac’s underlying sense that the operating system should be doing something to help, I thought, why don’t OS-s provide an associative ability, so that you could mark – and key to this, use appropriately – things that have to do with each other.

Such a feature would mean Scrivener projects could be grouped in a folder for easy switching between, opening two to look at, etc., and also be ready to work with related items, like non-includable references, drawings for illustrations in app native so you could work on them, etc.

Then I think, might Scrivener not be able to do that? Essentially, shortcuts contained in projects. A projectt-internal folder could hold OS shortcuts, as one easy way, perhaps?

Or maybe there’s a variation on this which would also support something ultra-nice – the deep links that are taking on in the Obsidian - Craft.do and so forth world. Which are very useful indeed…

I just tried it in Scrivener iOS and doesn’t happen yet. But it could.

Then there was a flash, how this would be something like or related to implementing an idea Apple tried a long time ago, before really its time of possibility - cross-app live embedding.

Like Project Bookmarks, maybe?

2 Likes

I haven’t used MS Office seriously since Scrivener was released, but Microsoft tried this as well. At the time at least it was pretty buggy.

You know, I didn’t even realize those were there :slight_smile:
And with abilities…

I tried a few, and very nice. Does what it says. A little nicer if single or double-click opened in the default editor, maybe next upgrade?

Thanks, Katherine, and several of the abilities there are going to be quite useful certainly.

Thoughts come as to iPad-Win11 sharing; there what can be in References will be fine. But very nice to be able to load up wider range of documents on the laptop. On thei other hand, book marks should be often nicer for internet – shares on either machine, and nicer than downloading single pages, several ways.

Busy with several things, these days I want my tools to ‘just work’, no matter what I might understand about them, and this is going to quite help.

Again, thanks!

yes, the one I remember from Apple was in the halcyon, tan box in the bike basket Mac days. And I programmed it a bit also – not so rewarding.

The funny thing is that little Affinty/Serif does it now very nicely between all their apps; how they do it is clearly by having a common core.

More memories, the invisible partnership between Microsoft and Apple in those early days; how what was it, Multiplan appeared, clean and wonderful actually, later to become Excel with the home Redmond ‘touch’;, about which we say no more. And they had Simonyi, then, so that the first and wonderful Word appeared on the Mac. Small groups, great things in those days…

1 Like