strange (and urgent) compile problem

OK guys, this one is stumping me. So, I bought Scrivener after having written a manuscript in Word. I put all the chapters into Scrivener and then proceeded for the past 6 weeks to edit the chapters. I was way over word count and put out a big effort to get it edited down. Finally I was ready to compile and send to an editor. However, every time I compile (trying various options) it always comes out with the ORIGINAL chapters that I put into Scrivener 6 weeks ago, and NOT the edited ones that I SEE in Scrivener. How weird is that? Can anyone help? Urgently? (The editor is waiting!)

Thanks a million!

The first rule of Scrivener is that Scrivener can only compile the text that is in Scrivener.

Are you sure you’re not just opening the old Word file with the original text?

Try compiling to a PDF as a test.

If that has the new/edited text, then you know Scrivener is compiling the right text and that Word is just showing you the old file.

Hi,
I have tried compiling to both PDF and to Word. I guess I could be somehow opening the old word file. I put that originally into the “manuscript” section. Then I put each chapter I had written into a separate folder. Then I went into each of those to do my edits. I thought what was in “manuscript” was reflecting those edits. Maybe though, when I’m clicking “manuscript” to compile, maybe what’s there is the old document. I can certainly see all my edits in the chapter folders. I don’t have a draft folder. I may have deleted it at the beginning thinking I didn’t need it. I don’t recall. Is that part of the problem?

OK, I have checked. What’s in the “manuscript” is in the chapters as well. In other words: my latest edits. So what might I need to change with my approach to compiling, to allow THAT to be what’s exported instead of the old one, which I don’t even know where that one IS in Scrivener. I don’t know why it even exits still in Scrivener because I thought I was editing it and had made it into the new one.

Possible to post a screenshot of your binder to show its structure, and a second screenshot of the compile window showing the contents you are compiling? If the right text is in Scrivener, it can only be an issue of what and how you are compiling.

[attachment=1]binder.png[/attachment]

[attachment=0]COMPILE.png[/attachment]

Open the compile dialogue (cmd-opt-E), select the ‘All Options’ tab, then choose Contents in the left hand panel. The right panel will show you every document and sub-document that will be compiled, so the first thing is to check what is it showing? Is you old document(s) in the list? – if so that’s your problem.

But you need to know why they’re being included in the first place, so have a look at the drop down list immediately above the contents (above the header ‘Include’). By default it will say ‘Draft’ or ‘Manuscript’ (depending on your template), but you can select other options, such as an individual folder, or a collection or saved search. Check to see that the option is showing as you’d expect it to - it’s possible the options have been changed at some point.

Finally, look under the list and check that none of the filtering options has been set.

If you’ve identified where the old document is, move it out of the Draft / Manuscript folder into Research (which is not meant to be compiled).

If you’re still having trouble finding the old document: find a phrase which is definitely in the old doc, and not in the edited version, then search for it using Project Search (ctl-opt-F) which will put you into the search field at the top right of the screen. Click on the magnifying glass and make sure the drop-down options are suitable.

This will give you a search collection in the binder with all the documents which include your search phrase. If right-click on each entry in the collection and select Reveal in Binder, that will take you to the same document, but highlighted in the binder – you will eventually find out where this pesky old document is!

Hope there’s enough there for you to try and you’ll solve the problem. If not, let me know.

Oh gosh, thanks for all the advice. I have now noticed that “some” of the manuscript shows old stuff and some of shows the new stuff. The new stuff definitely is in all my chapter folders under the binder. I will now see if I can follow your info and I’ll let you know how it goes.

[quote=“brookter”]
Open the compile dialogue (cmd-opt-E), select the ‘All Options’ tab, then choose Contents in the left hand panel. The right panel will show you every document and sub-document that will be compiled, so the first thing is to check what is it showing? Is you old document(s) in the list? – if so that’s your problem.

But you need to know why they’re being included in the first place, so have a look at the drop down list immediately above the contents (above the header ‘Include’). By default it will say ‘Draft’ or ‘Manuscript’ (depending on your template), but you can select other options, such as an individual folder, or a collection or saved search. Check to see that the option is showing as you’d expect it to - it’s possible the options have been changed at some point.

Ok, I have followed the above. And it’s what I had been doing. I had checked already the contents and all the folders with chapters I want are clicked. The problem is, I don’t have a draft folder. So under the drop down, there is ONLY “manuscript” or “current selection” or “search results”

I don’t know if somehow at the beginning when I was totally new to this, I deleted the draft option… could that be possible? And is it possible that my OLD version is what’s in “manuscript”? I mean can the manuscript function somehow NOT be adhering to what’s in my chapter folders?

Oh, your solution for finding the old document worked! I now have put that in the trash… I think I’m on my way…

The top level folder in your binder can be called ‘Manuscript’ or ‘Draft’, depending on which template your project was originally based on – it doesn’t matter which, so don’t worry about that.

“Manuscript” is just an alternately named draft folder, so in truth all your Chapter folders should be children of “Manuscript”.

There’s no need to put your original Word document in the trash if you feel you might want to refer back to it sometime; just put it in Research where it will not be available to compile.

Mr X