Strange issue with PDF display panel

I’m not sure if this is something that only affects large page-count PDFs, but I’ve been finding that when such PDFs are displayed in the editor panel, a white box of varying sizes appears, either reducing the area in which the PDF is rendered, or completely obscuring it. It also changes sizes as you scroll through the PDF, disappearing completely towards the end of the document.

I’m not sure I’m explaining it very well, so here’s an image from one PDF (I’ve obscured the document) with the white rectangle highlighted with a red border:

and here’s an even worse example from a longer PDF:

Having scrolled up and down a bit, the rectangle is now moving to the top or to the bottom of the panel, depending on where I am in the PDF and most pages either don’t render or do so only partially.

That sounds like this bug, which is unfortunately in the PDF display engine itself, beneath the level that we can fix immediately.

Oh well — thank you for such a quick response. Do you know if the shift to 64-bit is likely to happen any time in the immediate future? (I noticed the iOS app is now in beta, so I guess the question is really whether its eventual arrival will herald some new version of desktop Scrivener?)

In terms of working around the display bug, is there any way to quickly navigate in non-continuous view or am I better just using an external PDF viewer? At the moment I’m finding that I can only pg-up and pg-dwn, which makes index usage a drag, especially as rapid pg-up/dwn-ing seems to cause the rendering to fail as well.

Well since the iOS version is being programmed by the same person that programs the Mac version, that does mean there will be some necessary lag time after iOS is launched while the next major version for Mac (and a bit later on PC) goes through the same process of final development and testing. I’ve been using internal alpha builds for some time now and have never seen the white rectangle bug in them, so I’m confident this problem (which I’ve encountered many times otherwise—in fact PDF view was so buggy OSX-wide that for a while I used Adobe Reader and didn’t even bother with embedded PDF panels like in Scrivener) is something we won’t have to worry about in the future. Clearly, three or four years after this bug came out, Apple isn’t going to be fixing it.

With an external reader, that can be done easily with the Ctrl-Cmd-O shortcut, or by clicking the application icon in the footer bar below the PDF. To scroll more quickly through continuous display, I’m currently not at a Mac to double-check this, but doesn’t the scrollbar let you quickly fly through pages?

Unless I’m being dense, there doesn’t seem to be a scroll-bar in non-continuous view, just page forward and page back (and no ‘go to page’ either). The scroll-bar only seems to appear in continuous view, but is accompanied by the infernal white rectangles and rendering glitches. The result is that non-continuous view is not particularly well suited to long reference documents.

I don’t know if it’s possible to opt in to a beta program for the OSX version, or indeed if one is currently running, as I’d love to be able to do my annotating in split view scrivener at some point. In the meantime though, I completely understand that there’s not a lot L&L can do, and so will probably attempt some kind of window snapping to achieve the same effect.

Thanks v much for your help though!

Right you are, the scrollbar is bound to one page when non-continuous, that’s too bad (although I suppose it is understandable as triggering a page flip with an “analogue” style control like a scrollbar that grows increasingly sensitive the more pages there are would be a bit awkward in practice). By the way a “go to page” function will be added in the big update.

As for that, there isn’t a beta yet (features are still be developed), and I’m not sure how we will be conducting that one as it hasn’t been decided. Best thing to do would be to keep informed on the forum here. The announcements board is going to be the best place to keep a look-out for this kind of news.

Sorry for the state of things at the moment. We’re getting down to the very end of the line for this version. We’ll probably be putting out at least one more release for 2.x soon that fixes some bugs and adds support for iOS sync, then it will be all hands on deck to get the next big thing, so look to some time this summer for more news.