Strange Results at Chapter Breaks

I’m working on a book manuscript and finding some challenges with the compiling. In a couple of places the chapter ends right at the bottom of a page. In one case, the compiling feature then added another blank page before starting the next chapter.

In another place, the next chapter starts correctly but with a header, even though the other new chapter first pages doesn’t show a header (which is the way I want it and it should be for all the first pages).

Any idea how to correct these problems. I’m working on the PDF of the manuscript for another writer who’s really doesn’t want to make edit changes to the manuscript just to get it to work with the compiling.

Help please!
BRAD

Hello,

First, please try the latest beta:

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/scrivener-2-x-update-betas-download-here/11262/1

If that doesn’t help, please send a copy of the project to us at mac.support AT literatureandlatte DOT com along with instructions of how to reproduce.

Scrivener does its best to strip blank pages, but it may not always be perfect. It may just be that you need to tweak it in a word processor before converting it to a PDF for best results. I’d like to see failure cases just in case, though.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the reply. I’ve looked over the info on the beta version and I have one question. If I find I don’t like the beta version or that it doesn’t work well for me, etc. is there a way to go back to my current version.

While I’d like to try the beta version and are more than happy to help with some debugging, I’ve gotten to the point I depend on Scrivener to much to have a version that’s too buggy. So how would I go about restoring my current version?

BRAD

Quick answer: drag the beta Scrivener to the trash, then re-download the current version from literatureandlatte.com/scrivener … atform=mac
Your license and settings are all stored separately from the actual program, so you won’t be in any danger of losing those. The same goes for your projects; they’re stored wherever you decided to create them (usually the Documents directory, unless you chose another folder when you created the projects).

Yep, exactly as Robert says. It’s worth noting that the betas are usually more stable than the regular version, though, as the public betas aren’t experimental for the most part, but rather are gradations towards the next update. The only exception is for PPC users - the betas are Intel-only.

All the best,
Keith

I was able to resolve the extra page issue but not the page with a new chapter starting that also has the header appearing when it shouldn’t be there. I have downloaded the beta version of scrivener but that didn’t resolve this.

I’ve attached a couple images to show the extra header and another image of what it should look like.

Any other suggestions how to get this one page to behave itself?

BRAD

Could you please zip up the project and send it to me at kb-tech-support AT literatureandlatte DOT com. I’m assuming you have “No header on first page and pages following page breaks” ticked, so the easiest thing now is just for me to take a look at the file to see what is going on.
All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith,
I’ll have to get back to you on sending the file since it’s not mine but another writer’s. I’ve passed along the request to her but haven’t heard back yet. Not sure I have ‘zipping’ capabilities either so that might poise a problem.

I’ll be back in touch when I hear from the writer. Thanks for your offer to help.

BRAD

Brad,

To zip, just find the scriv file in the finder, right click (ctrl-click works too) and select "Compress ". will be replaced by the project name. This will create a zip file that you can send to KB.

Hi Brad,

If the file is someone else’s, here’s a way around it that will ensure you can send me the problem file without me seeing her text:

1. Make a copy of the project.

2. In the copy of the project, go to Find > Project Replace…

3. in the Project Replace panel, replace various single characters. For instance Find “a” and Replace with “d”. Do this with a few characters until the text is entirely jumbled up and unreadable. It will now have the same number of characters and Compile should show the same problem, but it will just be gibberish, so you won’t be sending me the writer’s work, but just some gobbledegook. Make sure after doing this that the Compile issue still occurs, though, before sending it.

Jaysen has already explained how to zip up a file (thanks, Jaysen!).

All the best,
Keith

Wow, thanks Jaysen. Been working on a Mac for close to 30 years and didn’t know about zipping in this way. Where have I been? Not on this forum for most of that time…for sure.

Keith, thanks for your input too, but that won’t be necessary. The other writer has given me permission to send it along. We both want to know how to correct this. Seems strange to me. I’ve compiled a bunch of stories and books with Scrivener and not run into this issue before.

So be on the lookout for it shortly. thanks again everyone.
BRAD

Dont’ worry about it. The nice thing about OSX is that you don’t have to know too many details. Some of us want the details or have reasons to dig the details out, but most folks are blissfully (and rightfully) ignorant of the full capability of the platform.

If you ever have general OSX questions feel free to post them on the latte section of the site. Someone will wander along and answer it. I find the forum answers here are generally better than the apple help forums. So much so that I don’t even bother going there any more.

I’m sure KB will get you straightened out. If only apple were so responsive in fixing user issues with their products…

That’s the problem – they keep slipping things in, and if you don’t read the fine print (or if you actually use your computer for work, and don’t meander aimlessly through all the menus to while away the time) they implement things and one goes on working in the same old way without realising what new possibilities there are …

M

You say that like it is a problem!

Your other option is an OS that forces you to re-learn the entire UI and basic fundamentals.

But that is me being … me.

Thanks for the file, Brad. I hope you enjoy making a grown man cry… This is a horrible one. The problem is that the text at the end of the preceding chapter comes right to the end of the page. This means that the page break that gets inserted by Compile after it creates a blank page. But Scrivener tries to be smart about that, and if there are any blank pages, it goes through and removes them. In order to do this, it has to remove the page break, though, and if there is no page break, then Scrivener has no way of knowing that the next page is the start of a chapter (because it no longer follows a page break) and that it therefore needs a different header (or no header).

After banging my head for a couple of hours, I have come up with a solution, though. I won’t bore you with the specifics, but basically now, rather than removing the page break altogether, it replaces it with an invisible character which it can now check for along with page breaks as a way of determining whether the next page header should be different. It was a bit ugly and complicated, but fingers crossed that this solution will work okay. It seems to work fine with the file you sent me.

I’ve uploaded an updated beta so that you can test it for yourself:

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/scrivener-2-x-update-betas-download-here/11262/1

Please let me know how you get on.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

If he does he didn’t do it very well. It only took you 2 hours to cry, get to work, then provide a fix. Experts can keep a grown man in a fetal position under a desk for about 3 days straight. I should know. Guess where I am typing from!

But I was coding from under the table with tears in my eyes…

I recently arrived for a symposium and was asked to fill in a couple of spaces on a sheet of paper. After hesitating for a moment I looked at the woman behind the desk and said “What’s my name?” … Learn a new UI? NO chance!

M.

And kudos to Keith, as usual. I couldn’t code in any position.

No, I actually don’t enjoy making men cry, but I do understand. This is befuddled me quite a bit…unfortunately, it still is.

I downloaded Scriv2205b-130412.zip and replaced my other beta version. But when I opened the file, this time when I compiled it as a PDF there appears an extra blank page. (see attachment).

Did I download the right beta scrivener?

I take it when you ran the file I sent through the new beta you didn’t get a blank page?

Puzzling for sure.

BRAD

No, this is what I get:

When you go to Scrivener > About Scrivener, what build number are you seeing

All the best,
Keith