Structural differnce betwee Adding a text file versus drag/drop into a Section

Dropping a text file onto a section (onto the section label itself in the binder) indents it under the Section in the binder. Whereas adding a text file via the context menu right-click on the section name in the binder will not indent that text file listed in the binder.
WIll this affect anything important, or is it just a visual glitch?

You might want to read through §6.1, What is Outlining? in the user manual PDF, to get a brief introduction on the kind of software Scrivener is, and what the various things you are observing mean, as it doesn’t sound like you’ve encountered an outliner before.

In short, yes, you can make indented outlines—drag and drop isn’t the only way either, you can select that new sibling text item you made and use the Edit ▸ Move ▸ Move Right command or shortcut to indent it (or the inverse with Left). Another way of getting child items like this is to hit Ctrl+3 while writing, which brings up the list of subdocuments of what you’re writing on. It’ll maybe start out empty, but as you add things to this list you’ll see them appear as indented items in the binder to the left. I often do that when I realise the section I’m currently writing is growing beyond a single topic, and I wish to break it up into further sub-topics.

As for whether it matters—maybe. It can indeed be of important impact if you set things up so that when you compile (export) level 1 stuff prints a page break and chapter heading, while level 2 indents get a section heading, and level 3 indents get a subsection heading, and so on. By that same token though, it can deliberately not matter. You might consider everything below a certain indent point to be pure notes, never meant to export at all, or maybe just general text but printed in such a way that the reader wouldn’t realise there were ever any cuts, one paragraph to the next.

And that just covers the stuff in the Draft folder. Outside of that, outlining is purely for your own benefit. Put apples, oranges and bananas into a section called Fruit, and Fuji, Granny Smith and Gala nested into Apples.

That’s the kind of program Scrivener is: you can describe the internal structure of your text, as well as the external structure, all using that indented outline. And you can organise your ideas and thoughts into topical arrangements.

There is a “folder” construct as well as you may have noticed. Whether you use those exclusively for such groupings or not is up to you. Myself I hardly ever use them. I would rather just freely indent new ideas as they come to me, rather than having to decide beforehand if what I made is going to be a “group” or not.

1 Like

Indenting matters only if you use “format by structure” instead of name-based section types.

The difference between folders and text files is a different icon and different default separators (plus, I think, a couple other far less important default behaviors).

All of the above is true and also this: iif you are wondering if there is some miportant reason to follow the one procedure rather than the other, then the answer is ‘No’. In this sense it totally doesn’t matter which you do, because you can just drag things around in the Binder (and indent and outdent) and thus bring the two methods into perfect agreement either way – it is the work of a moment to make the resulting state be just the same no matter which way you brought the material in.

1 Like

Thanks all of you for responding so quickly. You are very helpful.