Struggling with Layout issues

I am running 1.0.3 on a high resolution screen. Enlarging fonts to a readable size was a cinch. Except for the Binder. Cannot find an option to increase font size for collection titles. Collection tabs are so close together that it makes navigation cumbersome.

Another issue: Double-clicking a chapter in the binder does not drill down, but renames the title instead. To drill down I have to hit the tiny triangle (not even the icon will do), which takes precise mouse movements on my hi-res screen, and it’s even harder on the touchpad of my laptop.

More often than not I want to drill down, not rename the chapter. Besides, there are plenty of ways to rename (F2, right-click “Rename”). I’d rather see my nodes open/close upon dbl-clicking the titles.

As an alternative to having to click the tiny triangles, I set up a split view: corkboard above, editor below. I expected the sub-documents to show up as index cards in the top view. Sometimes they do. Sometimes they don’t. It seems that each chapter remembers its last state (editor or corkboard).

I tried:
View > Binder affects… > Top Editor. But the problem remains. I cannot tie the view mode permanently to the upper pane. It will open the editor for some chapters, and not the corkboard.

I also tried: Options > Navigation > Treat all documents with children as folders". Didn’t to the trick.

I then tried “Manage Layouts”:
It didn’t save much except for the corkboard appearance.
View > Binder affects… is not saved. Neither is the horizontal split in Inspector > Snapshots, nor the text zoom for snapshots, but all that’s of minor concern.

Can anyone tell me how to navigate efficiently through a long project, 3 levels deep?

Hi StefanG, you can change the font size in your binder in the program options section. Go to Tools → Options → Appearance tab. Then, at the bottom of the dialog box in the Fonts section, double-click on General to expand it. Then click on Binder and click on the Select Font button to choose your font face and size. Click on Apply or OK and this will make the binder fonts look the way you want them.

The double-clicking on a chapter in the binder to expand them is a good idea too.

Navigating through a large project is a personal preference. I only use one file for each chapter to keep things small and organized. I’ll use the corkboard for quick notes that I can re-arrange. Makes it a little easier than just using the document notes section.

Thanks, Chris

Thank you,
but the font-size doesn’t affect the collection tabs, only the chapter/ scene titles. And these also remain stuck together, enlarging the font makes them even harder to read. I was hoping for the same zoom-effect that you see in browsers etc, where increasing the size affects the whole layout proportionally, instead of blowing up the letters only, which reduces line spacing to zero.

I don’t understand your way of navigating:

Thanks for supporting my suggestion to change the behavior of the double-click on chapter titles in the binder. This would indeed make it easier to drill down, especially on a notebook touchpad, where aiming at the tiny arrows is quite a chore.

It’s not possible to change the font size for the collection tabs at the moment, but I’ve popped off a note about this to see whether it’s something that could be done.

As an alternative to clicking with the mouse in the binder to drill down, you can use the arrow keys to do this: Right to expand, Left to collapse. You can also use the View > Outline > Previous/Next Container shortcuts (Ctrl+Shift+Up/Down) to jump through the binder to your containers. (This only works on folders at present, but should work for document stacks as well when the option is enabled for stacks to be treated as folders; I’ve filed a bug report for that.) These commands will all work in the outline view as well as the binder.

For the split editor set up, you should be able to get this to work, but depending on how you’ve organized your binder, you might be getting affected by the bug that’s forcing the same group view mode on both editors (whereas it should be remembered per editor).

You should be able to set the top editor to use the corkboard for groups, and with the Binder Affects set to the top editor, any folder clicked in the binder will load as a corkboard; with the “treat docs with children as folders” set as well, doc stacks will also open on the corkboard. Single text documents selected in the binder will still open in the text editor, since the group view doesn’t apply in that case, but they won’t affect how the next selected group is loaded.

If you click the ⇄ button in the top editor footer, it will link the two editors so that you can select a card in the top editor and have it load in the bottom. Thus, if you click a folder in the binder, its subdocuments will display as index cards in the top editor, and when you click a card in the top editor, its text will appear (in the regular text editing mode) in the lower editor. Subfolders or doc stacks in the top editor will appear as a stack of index cards and you can double-click the icon to the left of the title to open that on the corkboard, then select any of its subdocument index cards to load the text in the lower editor.

What might be messing things up here then is if you have folders that contain text themselves which you want to view in the editor or ditto for document stacks if that navigation option to treat them as folders is set. Selecting the index card stack in the top editor would load it in the bottom editor as a corkboard, and you’d have to switch to viewing it in the text editor–which would mean changing the group view mode for that bottom editor, but due to the bug, it would also affect the group view mode for the top editor. Thus the next time you selected a group in the binder, it would load in the top editor in the text editor instead of on the corkboard, and you’d have to switch back, etc. Understandably irritating.

If that’s what’s happening, you’re probably better off disabling the option to treat stacks as folders and then letting them load as text by default and using Ctrl+2 or clicking the corkboard icon to switch to corkboard view on those when necessary; it’s still extra steps, but probably less confusing, since it won’t affect how other containers load, and you’ll probably need it less frequently. This won’t help as much if you have a lot of folders with text in them that you need to view on the editor, since folders always use the group mode (so switching will affect group view for the editor and thus other containers you load). You could switch them to doc stacks instead of folders if that worked for your set up (just right-click on the folders in the binder and choose “Convert to File”; you can always switch them back later, too). Obviously that’d just need to be a personal choice, whether it worked for you.

Thanks Jennifer,
you cannot imagine how much I appreciate your honest answer. I had posted this thread right after I bought the software, when I was really struggling to come to grips, but whenever I contacted the forum, it was like “this is how we do it, it’s a steep learning curve etc”

This made the whole experience even more exhausting. I knew it wasn’t about learning curves or things being different because I had read everything (FAQ etc) and as a heavy user of software I am used to delving deep and figuring things out.

I find it much more helpful when people admit openly to some issues rather than being evasive about it. Being told upfront about beta glitches (which are unavoidable) does not weaken but rather strengthen trust and confidence into a software. Denying or sidetracking does not.

Seems like it would have to be stitched together piecemeal, for each element in the binder.
I’d rather see it work like in browsers etc. where you simply zoom in (Ctrl mouse-wheel or otherwise) to get an enlarged view of everything, i.e. line spacing etc would adjust accordingly. At the moment when I increase the font size for the chapter titles, it makes them even harder to read. They move closer together.

Also, if it were treated like a file browser, it might lead the way to a feature to restore the last view (the state of all nodes, open or closed, and title focus). At the moment, this organizing structure is permanently destroyed when I click “Reveal in binder”. There is no “Back to last view”.

Yeah but for this I have to use the mouse anyway (because of other issues I have detailed in other postings). I cannot access the binder directly with shortcuts from within the editor. And switching via Ctrl Tab will give me no visual clue where I am. Title bars do not change their color when I put the focus on the binder. (presumably a bug with Vista)

Yes, that’s been confirmed in the meantime (after lenghty discussions about it).

Exactly, I’ve been using this work-around for a while. Until it got just too frustrating having Ctrl+2 affect the wrong window when I forget to switch the focus first, then hit Ctrl+2, then switch the focus again.

Again, thanks for not trying to belittle or deny existing issues. It makes me feel empowered again to know it was not my own stupidity that caused my struggling with the interface.