Stupid question about compiling [importing presets]

I want to use my od presets for compiling. In the manual it says

1. Click the • • • button in Formats footer bar.
    Where is the Formats footer bar? I can’t seem to find it.

Bottom left of the main Compile screen, under the list of Compile Formats.

I wouldn’t expect presets from another application to work, though. What specifically are you trying to do?

It’s a cog wheel ; not three dots.

Note that the compile format(s) need to have been previously exported to be now importable. (Arrow in my screenshot.)
Unless they were saved as a project format, in which case you can fetch it or them from the old project.

In this case they’ll be retrievable from
YOURDRIVE:/ […] Project folder.scriv > Settings > Compile formats

The other case is where they were saved as “My formats”, they might still be in the application folder, depending on what you’ve done since.
(Very unlikely though, because you’d already have it/them listed in the compile panel. This is more if you have Scrivener installed on an old computer (other than the one you are currently using) or I don’t know what — some sort of backup of all Scrivener’s settings and preferences you would have done in the past, for e.g.)

When a Compile Format is redundant across projects, you can save it as a “My Formats” → that’ll make it available in all of your projects.
(In your current case – taking for granted that what you currently want is the preset from a previous project in your ongoing project – you’d have it already listed in the “My Formats” section of the Compile Formats list.)
But if you modify it, it modifies it for all your projects.
(You can clone it, mod it and store it in the project whenever that’s the case.

…Make the shared format a starting point, left untouched, in other words. — Just don’t forget to clone it first.)

@AmberV

And there seems to no longer be “three possible options:” at step 3
(I don’t have any V1 presets anymore to see if that choice comes later. As it is, it just pops a standard file explorer’s window.)

1 Like

Tell me about it. I asked about why some of the auxilary buttons in the UI are wheels while everything else is dots, because in the user manual it is neither of these things, but me typing in “GearMenu”, which a replacement turns into one symbol or another, depending on the operating system it is being compiled for. Coming up with a whole new abstracted symbol for a grand total of three (almost surely mistaken) button graphics seemed silly.

But as yet, I have heard nothing… and so some things that almost certainly should be dots are not dots, and are documented as dots anyway.

1 Like

…Dots makes sense. (More than a cogwheel in this specific case. There is nothing in there that can even remotely qualify as a setting.)
Much unlike this one:

— My puny mortal opinion —
. . . . . . . . . .

Exactly, for settings I think a gear icon makes sense, and is fairly traditional to use for that purpose, even in websites that is what you often see. The problem came from the Mac initially. It did use gears everywhere for menus like this—which are really a duplication of the right-click menu (a convention I don’t think is even common off of Mac, where it is more obvious that mice have at least two buttons). They then switched to using three dots in a circle system-wide, and so most of Scrivener changed over night, but there were a few spots that were hard-coded I suppose to use a gear, and those spots were copied very diligently by the Windows developers, resulting in like I say, about three or so places where the wrong icon is used.

Well that’s how it got to be the way it is at any rate. :slight_smile:

1 Like