Stupid Question alert! What is the best way to find scenes that have issues to be resolved?

As I write, I sometimes go back and re-read previously written sections. I do this to one, refresh my memory, and two, look for inconsistencies, gaps, repetition.

I have used Notes to make my notes BUT I can’t figure out how to get a list of the scenes with notes so I can review and perhaps make my quick updates.

It seems that bookmarks may actually be a better solution as I can look at all the bookmarks but that just shows me the scenes that are bookmarked, not the notes or comments.

Is there a way to get a list view of notes or comments?

I don’t want to have to cycle through every scene just to see what the notes or comments are and having to remember where I may have seen a similar note or comment.

thanks!

Try “Find by formatting”, using “comments and footnotes” as the formatting type to search. Does that help?

If not, you might try putting a little “tag” in every comment to search for—something like “%todo%”, that you’d never ordinarily type. You’d then use project search to search for that in your entire manuscript.

Another possibility is the default header, which puts your author name in each comment. Search for that, and you should get a list of comment -containing docs,

Finally, if you’re using the document notes in the inspector, (I can’t tell from your post whether you’re using comments or doc notes), you can use Project search to search only in doc notes (manual section 11.1.2) . Search for “*” to find all the docs that have any notes, or search for a string.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

I really like inspector comments for this. You mark a passage of text, and then you can write a note about what’s wrong with it. Those notes live in the inspector for the documents loaded into the editor, so you can do a Scrivenings session to view all comments in your draft. They all float to the top of the inspector (you don’t have to scroll to find them scattered over tens of thousands of words), and clicking on one scrolls you to the marked text.

I believe this works for Scrivenings sessions in Scrivener 3 for Windows? You might try putting two inspector comments in 2 adjacent documents, and then load them both in Scrivenings view to see if it does.

1 Like

Nice idea. i’ll try it

Good ideas. I’ll try it

1 Like

In the Compile Format Designer and the Section Layout tab, for all Assigned Section Layouts, make sure the “Notes” Content type checkbox is checked and the “Text” Content Type checkbox is not. You might want to show the Title of the scene for identification. Note that you ONLY compile the scenes that actually have content in the Notes area.

1 Like

You can use the project search feature (Edit->Find->Search in Project) to make a list of documents that have something in their document notes fields. When you start the search, a little field above the binder will appear. There’ll be an icon that looks like a magnifying glass/loupe–click that, and you can select “notes” as the focus of the search. Then enter the asterisk symbol, which in this case stands for any text or even images entered in the notes. The results will show you all documents that have notes associated with them.

If you need to use this search more than once, click on that icon again, and select “Save Search as Collection”. Then whenever you load that collection (View->Show Collections), it’ll re-run the search and show you the current list of documents with notes.

2 Likes

The other way is keywords for problems like plot, dialog, passive voice, scene needs work. If do this can search for the problem by keyword and have list of files with this problem. Or make collections with problems and can right click on file choose add to collection and put in problem bucket. Look at when to address and then with inspector see your notes