Style not recognize from Scrivener Win

Good morning. I own two installations of Scrivener, one on Mac and one on Windows. To switch between them I use backup (I don’t open the project directly). Unfortunately Scrivener Mac does not recognize the styles of Scrivener Windows. Is it possible? Since I use only one style I tried to leave the default one, setting in the preferences font size, spacing, etc. but the same is not recognized. Is it a bug? Thanks.

I think the issue may be in this part of your post:

Since I use only one style I tried to leave the default one, setting in the preferences font size, spacing, etc. but the same is not recognized.

Basically, there is a difference between styles which are created using the Format > Styles or the Style panel, and the default paragraph formatting (which is called ‘No Style’ in the format bar).

The first (your named styles) belong to a project and they can be read on either Windows or the Mac (subject to the right fonts being on both computers, of course).

The default ‘No Style’, in contrast, is a general setting, which will apply to every new project you create. So, along with other system settings, it’s changed in Preferences/Options, as you have done. But Preferences/Options contain many settings which only relate to the current device (e.g. the location of backups etc), and so they are not automatically shared across devices. You either have to recreate them on each device separately, or you use the Preferences/Options > Manage feature to copy them to the other device and load them.

Given your description, this seems the most likely explanation of what’s happening – you’ve changed the default no-stye formatting on Windows and now you need to do it again on the Mac.

There is an alternative to this, however: if you go to Project > Project Settings > Formatting, you can set the default ‘no-style’ formatting for this project only (ie. it doesn’t affect new projects), and this will transfer seamlessly between Windows and the Mac.

The easiest way to invoke this is to go to your Windows project and highlight a paragraph which is formatted the way you want it, then Format > Style < Set Default Formatting, which will bring up this dialogue.

Click on ‘Use different formatting for new documents in this project’ and then on ‘Use Current’. You default no style will now apply on the Mac as well (after you’ve reopened it, of course).

You may find that you have to reapply the formatting on some documents on the Mac (if you’ve been having problems). If so, just highlight them in the Binder and click ‘Documents > Convert > To default text formatting’ and all should be good from then on.

As I said, this is the mostly likely cause of the problem — if it isn’t, apologies :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you very much for the good explanation.
I will try now.

1 Like

Good morning.
It’s just like you said. Everything is ok now.
Thanks again.

I’m pleased it worked!