Substitutions Stopped Again

Hi all,

Well, in the middle of working today, Scrivener (or OS X, one or the other) decided to stop doing text substitutions again, just all of a sudden. (It seems to happen when I switch between documents.) So I tried closing and then reopening the Project, to no avail. Then I tried quitting and restarting Scrivener and reopening the Project. This didn’t work either. The, I tried setting the preferences to Defaults. This did not work either. (Which is strange, because it usually does.)

Just wondering if there was any update on this particular issue. I’m writing a fantasy novel with a lot of complex, accented spellings, and I use substitutions to do the heavy lifting for me when typing the names of places and things. Hence, why I always tend to freak out when this happens, as I can’t get any work done without this particular feature of the OS behaving itself. Anyway, just let me know, I suppose.

—Andy H.

P.S. — I tried trashing the “ui.plist” file inside the Project package. This did the trick!! I immediately got substitutions back. (I’ve tried this before, though, and it doesn’t always work.) Hopefully they’ll stay working this time, at least for a little while.

Hi Andy,

Please try the following:

  1. Close Scrivener.

  2. Fire up Terminal.app.

  3. Type:

defaults write com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2 NSQuitAlwaysKeepsWindows NO
  1. Hit enter.

  2. Log out and log back in again (this step shouldn’t be necessary, but is worth doing just in case).

Now continue to use Scrivener and let me know if the problem returns.

Thanks,
Keith