Substitutions Within Scrivener Only

I’ve brought this up before and searched the help, but I haven’t figured it out yet.

I would like, when editing in Scrivener only, to have the text “gg” autocomplete to “Garrett” such that if I type “gg” followed by a space, I will get “Garrett” followed by a space.

Is there a way to do that in Scrivener’s options somewhere?

Thanks.

What have you tried? Have you looked at the Project->Project Settings->Auto-Complete List?

I don’t know of a way to do precisely that within Scrivener — I use Keyboard Maestro for this sort of thing to insert dates / long text etc.

But if all you want to do is enter names or words quickly, you can set a custom completion list so that typing ga will offer Garrett, which you can accept with tab or enter. Any other key dismisses the popup. If you also have a Gail, then you can either keep typing till you get the match, or arrow down to choose the right one.

First of all you need to enable the feature in Preferences > Corrections > Auto-Completion by ticking Suggest completion as you type, and untick ‘Script Mode only’ if you want to use it in ordinary non-script documents.

The easiest way to set the completion list up is to select the word Garrett in the editor then Edit > Completions > Add selection to Auto-Compete list.

This is a per-project list, which you can manage in Project > Project Settings… > Auto-complete list. You can restrict the cope of the autocompletion to ‘All text’ or just to various script elements (useful for character lists in screenplays).

HTH.

I ended up using Keyboard Maestro, and that works perfectly.