Suggestion about corkboard settings

Have just spent a happy ten minutes looking for the setting which puts theme colours on the index cards. Found it in the end, but on the way I realised that there are five different places to look for index card settings:

• the pop-up window at bottom right of the editor
  • two entries on the the View menu
  • two pages on the Options dialogue
    A few settings can be changed in more than one place.
    I can see it might not work to put them all on the same screen, but it might help to group them better, and make the different places accessible from each other.

Well, you wouldn’t want them all in the same place, because half of these settings are project specific. You might want big practically real-sized cards in one project, but in another small one-liner cards are better. Likewise some projects will need pins to show label colours; others won’t even use the label so that info is superfluous. There are a lot of little things like that which you wouldn’t want a universal switch for in the application preferences. Besides, the Corkboard tab in preferences is big enough. :slight_smile: The reasoning behind having some options in the menu is that they are all things that you probably won’t be changing often. You set up the project, evolve it gradually, and these things might change once or twice. They are generally on or off features. The stuff in the little pop-up corkboard tool changes much more often. Just resizing your editor window can prompt a desire to modify Cards Across or size. So it made sense to avoid cluttering up that pop-up with stuff one rarely uses.

In general, consider colours (and fonts) to be something independent of the feature, when it comes to where to set them. If you want to change an application colour, it’s probably going to be in Appearance. The only real exception to this is composition mode, which has so many settings it deserved its own placement.

What does the corkboard DO?

I’m coming to Scrivener from another program that allows me to arrange the cards in columns in the manner that best suits me. In my case, I arrange the cards in columns to see a chapter layout. Each column is a chapter and the cards are under it. Corkboard in Scrivener doesn’t give me any control and the cards just flow around where they want. So I’m arranging scenes in the binder. Haven’t looked at corkboard since I figured out it doesn’t do what I want and I can’t figure out what it is supposed to do.

to arrange scenes within a chapter you have to click the parent manuscript title, go to corkboard mode, and double click on the chapters to arrange the scenes however you wish. So it is possible to arrange scenes, you just have to dig a bit deeper in the corkboard. Also, if you want to control the number of cards across, you hit the little icon at the bottom right hand corner of the screen in corkboard mode. It will bring up a pop up menu where you can go to “cards across” and it will bring up a menu which defaults to auto fitting the screen area. Don’t know if this helps you MarieDee, but I haven’t gone digging that far before because normally I do all of my organizing in the binder. I hope this helps.

Yeah, I tried those. They were why I decided that it was much easier to organize in the binder. Cards kept getting lost inside other cards. Setting the number across didn’t really do what I wanted. I don’t have a specific number of scenes that make up a chapter. I just want to quickly see where scenes were and even their word count and my blurb about them so I can rearrange to get chapter lengths right as I go.

I guess I want a corkboard that really works like a corkboard. Just places where I can put a card and it stays there unless I move it. And I can put another card in another place even if other cards aren’t in between. I don’t write in order. So I want to stick something on a board and say “this is somewhere around chapter nine.” Then look at all my cards and see where I’ve got gaps.

I have a manuscript I’m trying to hit a deadline with right now. It looks like I’ll be pulling it out of Scrivener and into MS Word soon because as much fun as Scrivener is to play with, I need to be able to hit this thing from multiple computers and devices to make the deadline. And I’m currently playing with the next novel in Google docs so I can hit it on lunch breaks when I’m not at my computer. Sigh. Unless I want to lug the beast of the 17 inch laptop with me everywhere.

You might just find that with Scrivener the binder and outliner feature work better for how you work, right now. The corkboard is really just a different way to focus on a single part of the outline in the binder. The cards flow from left to right top down like words on a page, so that is how they work. You can imagine them as one long line of cards representing the linear flow of your text, and so moving them around in the grid move them forward and backward in that line. It’s just that the line is being wrapped so you can see more of them without scrolling. Cards across just determines when that wraps.

In the future, we will be implementing a more “real” corkboard like you describe. It will be truly freeform, where you could even drag cards into a circular cluster with key cards in the middle, if you wished, and doing so will make no impact on the binder order. It will be a mode you can flip on or off for each container (folder) in the binder, individually. For you, it would almost sound like you’d like a “master board” that shows the whole Draft even if the cards themselves are sorted into many different containers. Turning this freeform mode on in a Collection would probably suit you most. But this is all future tense for now.

As for cards nesting beneath other cards too easily. If you do not like this feature you can disable it in the Corkboard option tab. It’s the very first option at the top: “Allow dropping dragged items onto cards”.